Former Pistorius detective leaves force
March 8 , 2013
Hilton Botha, the former lead detective in the Oscar Pistorius investigation, resigned on Thursday.
According to police officials, his resignation was accepted with immediate effect.
Botha was dropped from the inquiry in February after it emerged at a bail hearing he was facing attempted murder charges in a separate case.
Pistorius is accused of killing his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, a charge he denies.
The Paralympian athlete has maintained he mistook her for an intruder when he shot her dead on February 14.
Steenkamp, 29, died after the 26-year-old double amputee athlete fired multiple shots into the bathroom of his apartment in a gated housing complex in Pretoria.
Botha, the first officer to arrive at the scene of the shooting, was accused of mishandling the investigation after he amended his testimony.
He told the court that the downward trajectory of gunshots through the bathroom door indicated that Pistorius was wearing his prosthetic legs.
However, this contradicted an earlier account given by Pistorius, who said he was walking on his stumps.
Botha later admitted that police had lost track of ammunition found inside the house.
In addition, he was accused of not wearing protective clothing while at the crime scene.
Last month’s bail hearing revealed that Botha was involved in the shooting of a minibus taxi carrying passengers two years ago.
The charges had originally been dropped but were later reinstated. Botha is set to appear in court in May.
Pistorius, who is charged with premeditated murder, was released on bail on February 22. He is next due to appear in court in June.
View London Olympics venues map, visit Olympics section.