About the Map of the US States
This interactive map of the 50 states of the US, is a colorful depiction of the third largest country in the world. Besides showing the 48 contiguous states and their capitals, it also includes inset maps of two other states – Alaska and Hawaii. Click on any of the states and get an enlarged and a more detailed map of that particular state on a new page.
The United States, which is a federation of 50 states and a federal district, Washington D.C., is divided into four geographic regions:
Northeastern, Midwestern, Southern, and Western.
The East Coast of the US, also known as the Atlantic Coast, has 14 states with coastlines on the Atlantic Ocean. New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Delaware, New Hampshire, Maine, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida are the states on the East Coast. Interestingly, the 13 original colonies of the Great Britain in North America were all located along the East Coast.
Some of these states also fall in Southern US. Popularly known as American South, the states in these regions have several cultural influences. Tennessee is the birthplace of jazz and blues music, and some of the best American writers have come from the South. The states in the Southern US have earned a reputation as the major hub for tobacco, sugar, and cotton farming.
The Western US is the largest region of the country, as it spans more than half the area of the contiguous US. Home to the Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevada Mojave Desert, and the Great Plains, it is the most geographically diverse region in America. It was inhabited after the Lewis and Clark expedition in early 19th century. California, New Mexico, and Arizona have strong Mexican and Spanish cultural influences.
The Midwestern United States (or simply the Midwest) comprises seven states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Known as the “Windy City,” Chicago is the largest city in the region. Indianapolis, Columbus, Detroit, and Milwaukee are other major cities. Known for its French heritage, Sault Ste. Marie, in Michigan was the first European settlement in the region.
Popular US States
- California : The sun-soaked California on the Pacific Coast is home to important cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. The Golden Gate Bridge and Yosemite National Park are iconic symbols of the state.
- Florida : From world-famous theme parks in Orlando, to recreational dwellings in Key West; Florida is known for its tropical weather. Moreover, Art-Deco buildings and happening nightclubs in downtown Miami are ever so tempting.
- New York : From the Catskills mountains to the Central Park in Manhattan, New York state has unparalleled natural beauty. It is also home to the Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, Leetchworth State Park, and Adirondack Park.
- Texas : There's so much to explore in Houston, Dallas, Austin, El Paso and San Antonio. From deer hunting in Hill Country, to exploring Padre Island and trying Tex-Mex cuisine, to watching sunset in the Palo Duro Canyon. Texas offers endless delights.
- Hawaii : Considered a tropical paradise, Hawaii is a lovely vacation destination known for its exotic beauty. When in Hawaii, one must keep an eye out for spectacular waterfalls, volcanoes, sea cliffs, beaches and more.
Take a look at these 50 beautiful infographics
of each state in the US.
Top Ten US Brands Famous Around the World
Many US brands have made a mark for themselves around the world. Here are ten brands that have come to be known all over the world.
Headquartered in Mountain View, California, Google is the most reliable internet search engine. The company specializes in internet-related services and products. These include cloud computing, online advertising technologies, search, software, and hardware.
Headquartered in Cupertino, California, Apple is known for its amazing products such as the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and many other products. It is not only the largest information technology company in the world by revenue, but also the largest technology company by assets. As of 2016, there are 478 Apple retail stores in 17 countries.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Amazon is an e-commerce giant. Amazon is the world's largest Internet-based retailer by total sales and market capitalization.
One of the most valuable companies in the world, Microsoft is a multinational technology company headquartered in Redmond, Washington.
Headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, Walmart runs as a chain of supermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores. As of 2017, Walmart is present in 28 countries and has 11,695 stores and clubs.
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Wells Fargo is an international banking and financial services holding company. The company, which operates in around 35 countries, caters to some 70 million customers around the world.
A fast food restaurant chain, McDonald's is headquartered in Oak Brook, Illinois. One of the largest restaurant chains in the world, McDonald's is present in around 120 countries, catering to more than 68 million customers on a daily basis.
Coca-Cola is one of the most popular brands in the world. The company's products are sold in more than 200 countries, and headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia
Headquartered in Menlo Park, California, Facebook is an online social media and social networking service. It is the most popular online site in the world.
A multinational technology company, IBM is headquartered in Armonk, New York. It operates in more than 170 countries. As of 2016, the company had nearly 380,000 employees.
Some top attractions in the US:
- Mount Rushmore : Located in South Dakota, Mount Rushmore is a memorial that depicts the faces of four popular US presidents; George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and Theodore Roosevelt.
- Venice Beach : This beach is situated in Los Angeles and is a nice place for people watching.
- Kennedy Space Center : See the rockets that took the first men to the moon, the Kennedy Space Center is located in Florida.
- French Quarters : Explore the French influence in New Orleans by visiting the French Quarters.
- Walt Disney World : Catch the fun at Walt Disney World, an amusement park located in Orlando, Florida.
- Denali National Park : If in central Alaska, do make a point to visit Denali National Park, where you may see spectacular wildlife such as caribou, wolves, moose, and grizzly bears, to name a few.
Apart from these there are many other attractions that deserve a visit such as Florida Keys, Niagara Falls, Yellowstone, Manhattan Grand Canyon, etc.
Facts about USA States
- Alaska, the largest state in the US, has about 3 million lakes and more than 100,000 glaciers.
- Delaware is known as the 1st State.
- Famous for the Everglades, the state of Florida is larger than England.
- In 1869, Wyoming was the first state to give women the right to vote.
- The One World Trade Center (or Freedom Tower) in New York City is the tallest building in the US.
- Washington State is the only state named after a president.
- California grows more food than any other US State.
- Maryland has the oldest airport in America.
List of 50 States with Nicknames, Capital and Largest Cities
Last Updated on: August 12th, 2017
|State||Capital||Largest city||Nickname||Became a state|
|Alabama||Montgomery||Birmingham||Heart of Dixie||December 14, 1819|
|Alaska||Juneau||Anchorage||The Last Frontier||January 3, 1959|
|Arizona||Phoenix||Phoenix||Grand Canyon State||February 14, 1912|
|Arkansas||Little Rock||Little Rock||The Natural State||June 15, 1836|
|California||Sacramento||Los Angeles||The Golden State||September 9, 1850|
|Colorado||Denver||Denver||Centennial State||August 1, 1876|
|Connecticut||Hartford||Bridgeport||Constitution State||January 9, 1788|
|Delaware||Dover||Wilmington||The First State||December 7, 1787|
|Florida||Tallahassee||Jacksonville||Sunshine State||March 3, 1845|
|Georgia||Atlanta||Atlanta||Peach State||February 12, 1733|
|Hawaii||Honolulu||Honolulu||Aloha State||August 21, 1959|
|Idaho||Boise||Boise||Gem State||July 3, 1890|
|Illinois||Springfield||Chicago||Prairie State||December 3, 1818|
|Indiana||Indianapolis||Indianapolis||Hoosier State||December 11, 1816|
|Iowa||Des Moines||Des Moines||Hawkeye State||December 28, 1846|
|Kansas||Topeka||Wichita||Sunflower State||January 29, 1861|
|Kentucky||Frankfort||Louisville||Bluegrass State||June 1, 1792|
|Louisiana||Baton Rouge||New Orleans||Pelican State||April 30, 1812|
|Maine||Augusta||Portland||Pine Tree State||March 15, 1820|
|Maryland||Annapolis||Baltimore||Old Line State||April 28, 1788|
|Massachusetts||Boston||Boston||The Bay State||February 6, 1788|
|Michigan||Lansing||Detroit||The Great Lakes State||January 26, 1837|
|Minnesota||St. Paul||Minneapolis||North Star State||May 11, 1858|
|Mississippi||Jackson||Jackson||Magnolia State||December 10, 1817|
|Missouri||Jefferson City||Kansas City||Show-Me State||August 10, 1821|
|Montana||Helena||Billings||Treasure State||November 8, 1889|
|Nebraska||Lincoln||Omaha||Cornhusker State||March 1, 1867|
|Nevada||Carson City||Las Vegas||Silver State||October 31, 1864|
|New Hampshire||Concord||Manchester||Granite State||June 21, 1788|
|New Jersey||Trenton||Newark||Garden State||December 18, 1787|
|New Mexico||Santa Fe||Albuquerque||Land of Enchantment||January 6, 1912|
|New York||Albany||New York City||The Empire State||July 26, 1788|
|North Carolina||Raleigh||Charlotte||First in Flight State||November 21, 1789|
|North Dakota||Bismarck||Fargo||Peace Garden State||November 2, 1889|
|Ohio||Columbus||Columbus||Buckeye State||March 1, 1803|
|Oklahoma||Oklahoma City||Oklahoma City||Sooner State||November 16, 1907|
|Oregon||Salem||Portland||Beaver State||February 14, 1859|
|Pennsylvania||Harrisburg||Philadelphia||Keystone State||December 12, 1787|
|Rhode Island||Providence||Providence||Ocean State||May 29, 1790|
|South Carolina||Columbia||Columbia||Palmetto State||July 20, 1904|
|South Dakota||Pierre||Sioux Falls||Mount Rushmore State||November 2, 1889|
|Tennessee||Nashville||Memphis||Volunteer State||June 1, 1796|
|Texas||Austin||Houston||Lone Star State||December 29, 1845|
|Utah||Salt Lake City||Salt Lake City||Beehive State||January 4, 1896|
|Vermont||Montpelier||Burlington||Green Mountain State||March 4, 1791|
|Virginia||Richmond||Virginia Beach||The Old Dominion||June 25, 1788|
|Washington||Olympia||Seattle||Evergreen State||November 11, 1889|
|West Virginia||Charleston||Charleston||Mountain State||June 20, 1863|
|Wisconsin||Madison||Milwaukee||Badger State||May 29, 1848|
|Wyoming||Cheyenne||Cheyenne||Equality State||July 10, 1890|