Quantcast
logo

George Lucas hints at Star Wars cast reunion

  • Star Wars creator George Lucas revealed on Friday that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill may reprise their roles on screen after his Lucasfilm company was sold to Disney last year.

    Speaking to Bloomsberg Businessweek, Lucas said the trio had been "in final stages of negotiation"

    However, Lucas did not confirm whether the "negotiation" had been successful.

    Disney purchased Lucasfilm for $4.05bn and plans to make a new trilogy of Star Wars films, directed by JJ Abrams, to follow on from the existing six movies.

    Lucas' comments coincided with an interview with Fisher in which she is quoted as saying she would return to the role of Princess Leia in the new film, due to be released in 2015.

    Her statement was immediately retracted by a representative, who said the 56-year-old actress had been "joking".

    Both Hamill and Ford are said to be open to the possibility of returning as Luke Skywalker and Han Solo respectively, according to Entertainment Weekly.

    The original Star Wars, released in 1977, tells the story of a young farm boy (Hamill) who joins forces with a space bandit (Ford) to free an imprisoned princess (Fisher).

    All three actors reprised their roles in the two sequels, 1980's The Empire Strikes Back and 1983's Return of the Jedi.

    None appeared in the three Star Wars prequels, The Phantom Menace, (1999) Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005).