US President Donald Trump Declared Halting Funding to WHO
April 15 , 2020
The United States President, Donald Trump declared to halt the funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) due to their "severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the Coronavirus". Trump said that WHO had "failed in its basic duty" in its response to the global pandemic. Previously, Trump has accused the specialized agency of the UN of being biased towards China. Reacting to Trump's accusation, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said this was not the time to be cutting resources for the WHO. Before the halt of the funding, US was WHO's single biggest funder with $400 Mn. The US is one of the worst affected countries with 608,377 positive cases of COVID-19 and 25,981 fatalities. President Trump said WHO failed to assess the outbreak when it first broke out in the city of Wuhan, "This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage...".