22 children in India die after eating free lunch in school.

  • Children became violently ill after eating free food in school for Lunch. This meal was tainted with insecticide and caused the death of 22 students. Officials report that dozens of others have been hospitalized. An official suggested the reason for the food containing chemicals and said that it must have not been washed thoroughly before being cooked. 

    This incident happened in Gandamal village in Masrakh block and the school authorities are said to have immediately stopped serving after the children began to vomit. 

    The meal had been cooked in the school kitchen and the official in charge of the free meal scheme in the school was suspended by the authorities. India's midday meal scheme is one of the world's biggest nutrition programs. It has also been replicated across the country covering about 120 million school children.

    The school's headmistress fled when the incident happened but the police said that it doesn't prove she had involvement in the tragedy.  

    Tagged as: 22 children die in India, children die after eating free lunch in Odisha, Odisha news, Orissa news