James Garfield was born in the year 1831 on 19th of November in Orange Township at Ohio. He lost his father when he was an infant of two years, which did not deter him from pursuing education enthusiastically. Being a brilliant student, Garfield completed graduation in 1856 from Williams College of Massachusetts and became a professor of Classics at the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute of Ohio. He had a very good knowledge of the classical languages and was a Master in administrative works.
James Garfield was an active member of the Union Army and participated in the American Civil War. He was an able army personnel and was gradually promoted to the rank of an army Major General. But his fascination towards politics continued and in the year 1863, he was elected to the House of Representatives. He remained in the position till 1881.
The US Presidential Elections of 1880 proved to be a turning point in his political life. In the Republican Convention that was held that year, Garfield became the 'dark horse' candidate contesting for the Presidential Elections. The margin of votes between him and his opponent from the Democratic Party, Winfield Scott Hancock, was marginal, with a difference of only about 10,000 popular votes.
There are several achievements that can be credited to the name of James Garfield, the American President. He maintained a strong hold and authority over the New York Customs House.
There are certain facts that are worth mentioning about James Garfield. Some of them are as follows:
- He was one of the left-handed President of the United States of America.
- James Garfield had the capability of writing Latin with one hand and Greek with the other.
- When he was shot, doctors tries to detect the bullet with the help of a metal detector but failed to do so.
- James Garfield was one of the Presidents of the United States of America, who campaigned in more than one language to reach to more number of people.
- Apart from being a president, he was also a preacher.
- Perhaps, he had a premonition of his approaching death and he talked regarding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln with Lincoln's son, Robert Lincoln for a long time just two days before his own death.
Certain quotes of James Garfield have become extremely popular with time. Some of his most quotes include the following:
- Ideas are the great warriors of the world, and a war that has no idea behind it, is simply a brutality.
- The chief duty of government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people.
- A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.
- If wrinkles must be written on our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. the spirit should never grow old.
- I have had many troubles in my life, but the worst of them never came.
- He who controls the money supply of a nation controls the nation.
Last Updated Date: May 24, 2016