About the Map of US States :
This interactive map of the 50 states of the United States is a colorful depiction of the third largest country in the world. Besides showing 48 contiguous states and their capitals, it also carries inset maps of two other states – Alaska and Hawaii. Click on any of the states and get an enlarged and a more detailed map of that particular state in a new URL. You can also customize this high-resolution map which is downloadable and printable online.
The United States, which is a federation of 50 states and a federal district Washington D.C., is divided into four geographic regions: Northeastern, Midwestern, Southern, and Western.
The East Coast of the US, also known as the Atlantic Coast, has 14 states with coastlines on the Atlantic Ocean. New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida are some of the states on the East Coast. Interestingly, the 13 original colonies of the Great Britain in North America were all located along the East Coast.
The Western US is the largest region of the country as it spans more than half the area of the contiguous US. Home to the Rocky Mountains, Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, and the Great Plains, it is the most geographically diverse region in America. It was inhabited after the great Lewis and Clark expedition in early 19th century. California, New Mexico, and Arizona have strong Mexican and Spanish cultural influences.
The Midwestern United States (or simply the Midwest) comprises seven states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Known as the Windy City, Chicago is the largest city in the region. Indianapolis, Columbus, Detroit, and Milwaukee are other major cities. Known for its French heritage, Sault Ste. Marie in Michigan was the first European settlement in the region.
Popular US States
1. California: The sun-soaked California on the Pacific Coast is home to important cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. The Golden Gate Bridge and Yosemite National Park are iconic symbols of the state.
2. Florida: From world-famous theme parks in Orlando to recreational dwellings in Key West, Florida is known for its tropical weather. Moreover, Art-Deco buildings and happening nightclubs in downtown Miami are ever so tempting.
3. New York: From the Catskills mountains to the Central Park in Manhattan, New York state has unparalleled natural beauty. It is also home to the Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Leetchworth State Park, and Adirondack Park.
4. Texas: There's so much to explore in Houston, Austin, El Paso, and San Antonio. From deer hunting in Hill Country to exploring Padre Island and trying Tex-Mex cuisine to watching sunset in the Palo Duro Canyon, the state offers endless delights.
5. Hawaii: Considered a tropical paradise, Hawaii is a lovely vacation destination known for inviting people and exotic beauty. When in Hawaii, one must keep an eye out for spectacular waterfalls, volcanoes, sea cliffs, beaches, and more.
Take a look at these 50 beautiful infographics of each state in the US.
Facts about USA States
- Alaska, the largest state in the US, has about 3 million lakes and more than 100,000 glaciers.
- Delaware is known as the 1st State.
- Famous for the Everglades, the state of Florida is larger than England.
- In 1869, Wyoming was the first state to give women the right to vote.
- The One World Trade Center (or Freedom Tower) in New York City is the tallest building in the US.
- Washington State is the only state named after a president.
- California grows more food than any other US city.
- Maryland has the oldest airport in America.
List of 50 States with Nickname and Capital
|State||Capital||Abbreviation||Nickname||Became a state|
|Alabama||Montgomery||AL||Heart of Dixie||December 14, 1819|
|Alaska||Juneau||AK||The Last Frontier||January 3, 1959|
|Arizona||Phoenix||AZ||Grand Canyon State||February 14, 1912|
|Arkansas||Little Rock||AR||The Natural State||June 15, 1836|
|California||Sacramento||CA||The Golden State||September 9, 1850|
|Colorado||Denver||CO||Centennial State||August 1, 1876|
|Connecticut||Hartford||CT||Constitution State||January 9, 1788|
|Delaware||Dover||DE||The First State||December 7, 1787|
|Florida||Tallahassee||FL||Sunshine State||March 3, 1845|
|Georgia||Atlanta||GA||Peach State||February 12, 1733|
|Hawaii||Honolulu||HI||Aloha State||August 21, 1959|
|Idaho||Boise||ID||Gem State||July 3, 1890|
|Illinois||Springfield||IL||Prairie State||December 3, 1818|
|Indiana||Indianapolis||IN||Hoosier State||December 11, 1816|
|Iowa||Des Moines||IA||Hawkeye State||December 28, 1846|
|Kansas||Topeka||KS||Sunflower State||January 29, 1861|
|Kentucky||Frankfort||KY||Bluegrass State||June 1, 1792|
|Louisiana||Baton Rouge||LA||Pelican State||April 30, 1812|
|Maine||Augusta||ME||Pine Tree State||March 15, 1820|
|Maryland||Annapolis||MD||Old Line State||April 28, 1788|
|Massachusetts||Boston||MA||The Bay State||February 6, 1788|
|Michigan||Lansing||MI||The Great Lakes State||January 26, 1837|
|Minnesota||St. Paul||MN||North Star State||May 11, 1858|
|Mississippi||Jackson||MS||Magnolia State||December 10, 1817|
|Missouri||Jefferson City||MO||Show-Me State||August 10, 1821|
|Montana||Helena||MT||Treasure State||November 8, 1889|
|Nebraska||Lincoln||NE||Cornhusker State||March 1, 1867|
|Nevada||Carson City||NV||Silver State||October 31, 1864|
|New Hampshire||Concord||NH||Granite State||June 21, 1788|
|New Jersey||Trenton||NJ||Garden State||December 18, 1787|
|New Mexico||Santa Fe||NM||Land of Enchantment||January 6, 1912|
|New York||Albany||NY||The Empire State||July 26, 1788|
|North Carolina||Raleigh||NC||First in Flight State||November 21, 1789|
|North Dakota||Bismarck||ND||Peace Garden State||November 2, 1889|
|Ohio||Columbus||OH||Buckeye State||March 1, 1803|
|Oklahoma||Oklahoma City||OK||Sooner State||November 16, 1907|
|Oregon||Salem||OR||Beaver State||February 14, 1859|
|Pennsylvania||Harrisburg||PA||Keystone State||December 12, 1787|
|Rhode Island||Providence||RI||Ocean State||May 29, 1790|
|South Carolina||Columbia||SC||Palmetto State||July 20, 1904|
|South Dakota||Pierre||SD||Mount Rushmore State||November 2, 1889|
|Tennessee||Nashville||TN||Volunteer State||June 1, 1796|
|Texas||Austin||TX||Lone Star State||December 29, 1845|
|Utah||Salt Lake City||UT||Beehive State||January 4, 1896|
|Vermont||Montpelier||VT||Green Mountain State||March 4, 1791|
|Virginia||Richmond||VA||The Old Dominion||June 25, 1788|
|Washington||Olympia||WA||Evergreen State||November 11, 1889|
|West Virginia||Charleston||WV||Mountain State||June 20, 1863|
|Wisconsin||Madison||WI||Badger State||May 29, 1848|
|Wyoming||Cheyenne||WY||Equality State||July 10, 1890|
Last Updated on : July 22, 2016