Duration of Winter
The official start of the month of winter is different in various cultures and locations. According to recent meteorology the winter months are December, January and February for the Northern Hemisphere. For the Southern Hemisphere they are June, July and August. Even so, many European and East Asian nations regard November as the start of the winter season. The Celtic countries consider November 1 as the beginning of winter whereas according to the Chinese calendar it is from November 7.
Features of Winter
- The winter nights are usually very long and the days are short.
- In certain areas, there is extremely high precipitation in the form of snowfall and some places remain permanently covered with snow.
- In places where there are blizzards or winter storms a lot of transportation problems are faced.
- Ice fog is a rare atmospheric phenomenon, in which suspension of ice crystals is formed in the air. This happens only at temperatures that follow below -30ºC.
There are a number of fun sports and interesting activities associated with winter. To name a few we have:
- Ice skating
- Ice Hockey
- Ice Biking
- Snowball fighting
- Building snowman and snow castles
Winter is a season which occurs between autumn and spring.
Last Updated Date: May 18, 2016