Mountains are closely related to the mythology, religion, and spiritual beliefs among the Oriental religions. There are many such peaks considered sacred in Asia.
Some of the most sacred places in Asia happen to be mountains. These feature prominently in the folklore, and popular religious texts make frequent references to these places, where according to them various gods and deities reside. It is possible that the ancient people were fascinated by the mystifying and overpowering appearance of these peaks, which seemed to be a good place for the gods to reside in. In certain other places, powerful volcanoes came to be seen as devices of supernatural beings, who could spell doom if not appeased.
However, it's not only Asia where mountains are held scared. Mount Sinai and Mount Olympus are examples outside of Asia where mountains are associated with religion and mythology.
What are some of the popular beliefs associated with mountains?
There are far too many stories, small and large, that tell the tales of supernaturalism associated with mountains. However, some of the most popular (and fascinating), are:
- Mount Fuji, Japan: Mount Fuji is a modern tourist destination in Japan, which can be climbed during July-August. This 12,389 feet-high stratovolcano has been sacred for Shintoists in modern times, as well as the original inhabitants of Japan, the Airu. The goddess Sengen-Sama is believed to reside in this mountain.
- Mount Emei, China: A mountain in the Sichuan province of China, Mount Emei is one of the sacred Buddhist mountains in China. It is believed that this is where the bodhisattva Samantabhadra received enlightenment. The mountain is 10,167 feet-high, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Mount Kailash, Tibet: It is one of the most widely venerated mountains in Asia. Having an elevation of 21,778 feet, this mountain holds a special place in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Bon. For example, the Hindus consider this to be the seat of Lord Shiva, one of their principal deities. And according to Buddhists, it is home to Buddha Demchok.
What are some of the temples up on mountains of Asia?
Some of the temples built on mountains in Asia:
- Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest), Bhutan
- Pura Besakih, Indonesia
- Mount Kōya, Japan
- Badrinath, the Himalayas
- Vaishno Devi, the Himalayas
Last Updated on: October 5th, 2017