Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, USA
|Description : Map showing the shooting location of Sandy Hook Elementrary School at Newtown in Connecticut state of the USA.
On December 14, 2012, suspected gunman Adam Lanza killed 27 people, including 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut in the United States. President Barack Obama deplored the attack by the heavily armed gunman which left 27 people dead, including school principal Dawn Hochsprung and school psychologist Mary Sherlach. The gunman shot and killed his mother, Nancy Lanza (age 54) at their home in Newtown, before driving her car to nearby Sandy Hook Elementary. The shooting at the school ended when the gunman took his own life, bringing the toll to 28. The Sandy Hook shooting was the second deadliest school shooting in the U.S. after the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007.
International Reaction to Sandy Hook Elementary School Attack
- U.S. President Barack Obama - "Our hearts are broken today. I know there is not a parent in America who doesn't feel the same overwhelming grief that I do. The majority of those who died today were children, beautiful little kids between five and 10 years old. May God bless the memory of the victims."
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard – "We share America's shock at this senseless and incomprehensible act of evil. As parents and grandparents, as brothers and sisters, as friends of the American people, we mourn the loss of children, aged only five to ten years, whose futures lay before them. We mourn the loss of brave teachers who sought only to lead their students into that future but were brutally murdered in a place of refuge and learning".
- British Prime Minister David Cameron on Twitter - "My thoughts are with those who've been devastated by the Connecticut shootings."
- Queen Elizabeth - "I have been deeply shocked and saddened to learn of the dreadful loss of life today in Newtown, Connecticut; particularly the news that so many of the dead are children."
- Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Twitter - "The news is just awful. The thoughts and prayers of Canadians are with the students and families in Connecticut affected by this senseless violence."
- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon - "The targeting of children is heinous and unthinkable,” and he extended his thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims and all others traumatized by this horrendous crime.
- European Union Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton - "I want to express my shock after the tragic shooting at a school in Connecticut today. I think of the victims, their families and the American people at this difficult time."
- European Commission Chief Jose Manuel Barroso - "It is with deep shock and horror that I learned of the tragic shooting in Connecticut. On behalf of the European Commission and myself, I express my sincere condolences to the families of the victims of this terrible tragedy."
- Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg on Facebook - "My thoughts are with the families who have lost their loved ones in the horrible shooting in Connecticut."
- Pope Benedict XVI -"I ask God, our father, to console all those who mourn and to sustain the entire community with the spiritual strength which triumphs over violence by the power of forgiveness, hope and reconciling love."
Victims of the Shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School
|Rachel D'Avino||29||Teacher's Aide|
|Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung||47||Principal|
|Anne Marie Murphy||52||Teacher's Aide|
|Mary Sherlach||56||School Psychologist|
|Name ||Age||Name ||Age|
|Charlotte Bacon||6||James Mattioli||6|
|Daniel Barden||7||Grace McDonnell||6|
|Olivia Engel||6||Emilie Parker||6|
|Josephine Gay||7||Jack Pinto ||6|
|Dylan Hockley||6||Noah Pozner||6|
|Madeline Hsu||6||Caroline Previdi||6|
|Catherine Hubbard||6||Jessica Rekos||6|
|Chase Kowalski||7||Avielle Richman||6|
|Jesse Lewis||6||Benjamin Wheeler||6|
|Ana Marquez-Greene||6||Allison Wyatt||6|
|Mother of Gunman – Shot in her home|
|Natalie Hammond||40||Lead Teacher|
Last Updated On : December 21, 2012