Most Viewed Connecticut Maps
About Connecticut Map :
Connecticut is one of the smallest states situated in the southernmost part of the United States. On the north it is bordered by Massachusetts and on the south by Long Island Sound. Its eastern side is bordered by Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and the western side by New York.
The first English settlers established Connecticut Colony in the 16th century at Hartford. The conservative elite of the state dominated most of the colonial affairs till the American Revolution. Following the revolution, Connecticut saw prosperity as mills and the textile industry boomed, and seaport trade volume increased manifold. During the Civil War era Connecticut manufacturers supplied weapons to the US military and continued to be one of the major suppliers of weaponry to the US military during World War I and II as well.
In the post-war period, though, some weaponry factories were shut down; however, other sectors, primarily construction and energy, picked up well, resulting in the development of middle-class people in the urban areas.
The Connecticut River, after which the state is named, divides the land in two equal parts. The highest areas of Connecticut are situated towards the northwest. As one moves along to the southern part, one can see Connecticut gradually losing elevation. Major rivers that flow through the state are the Connecticut River, Housatonic River, and Thames River. The Connecticut and Thames rivers drain through the eastern part of Connecticut which is a hilly upland.
The state has a humid climate. Summer is mostly hot and humid with precipitation. Winter is cooler in the southern part than in the northern part.
Travel Destinations in Connecticut :
Some of the popular places worth a visit in Connecticut are listed below.
- New Haven : New Haven is home to the famous Yale University. Popular tourist destinations include Yale University Art Gallery, Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, Long Wharf Theatre, and the East Rock Park.
- Hartford : Known as the insurance capital of the world, Hartford is the state capital and host of many historical and cultural attractions. Marked as Mark Twain’s literary abode, Hartford preserves the writer’s home and literary work. Other attractions of Hartford include The Wadsworth Atheneum, Elizabeth Park Rose Gardens, and the observation deck of Travellers Tower to name a few.
- New London : Popular places of tourist interest in this city include Garde Arts Center, Fort Trumbull State Park, New London Ledge Light, Ocean Beach Park, New London Harbor Light, and the Whaling Wall.
- East Haddam : This beautiful city has lots to offer to its visitors. Popular tourist sites include Gillette Castle State Park, Goodspeed Opera House, Devil's Hopyard State Park, East Haddam Swing Bridge, and Lake Hayward.
- Bridgeport : Some places of interest include the Adventure Park at the Discovery Museum, the Bridgeport Bluefish Baseball Club, Beardsley Zoo, Barnum Museum, and Captain's Cove Boardwalk.
- Groton : Points of interest in the town include The Submarine Force Museum, Bluff Point State Park, Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park, Branford House, and the Groton Monument.
Last Updated On : February 14, 2015