About Massachusetts Map: This small state in the northeastern US is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York. This detailed map of Massachusetts (Bay State) shows Boston, the capital city, and two important historical attractions in Massachusetts located nearby – Harvard Museum of Natural History and John F. Kennedy Library. Apart from the location of state forests, the airports near Worcester, Edgwartown, Barnstable, and Nantucket are also depicted.
Most Viewed Massachusetts Maps
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is located in the New England region of the northeastern part of the United States. It is the seventh smallest and third most densely populated state of the country. It has New York to the west, Rhode Island and Connecticut to the south, and Vermont and New Hampshire to the north. To its east lies the Atlantic Ocean.
History of Massachusetts
Massachusetts has a rich history. The Pilgrims first came here in 1620 and it became the second permanent British colony in North America. It was the site of the infamous Salem witch trials of the 17th century. Massachusetts is also well known for the Boston Tea Party and the pivotal role it played in the American Revolution. It became the sixth state of the United States when it joined the Union on 6 February, 1788. During the 19th century, it emerged as the leader of the Industrial Revolution. It was also a keen supporter of the Union during the American Civil War.
Massachusetts is divided into several distinctive regions. It has the Berkshire Mountains and the Connecticut River Valley in its west, and many rural hill-towns in its central part. Its eastern part includes the urban Greater Boston region and the sandy beaches of Cape Cod, while islands like Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard lie off its southeastern coast.
Massachusetts experiences a temperate climate. January is the coldest month while July is the hottest.
Despite its small size, Massachusetts has a lot to offer to tourists. Some popular places of tourist interest include:
- Boston : The capital city of the state boasts of a wide array of popular tourist sites including Fenway Park, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston Public Garden, Freedom Trail, North End, John F. Kennedy Presidential Museum & Library, and Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum, to name a few.
- Martha’s Vineyard : Some popular tourist destinations include Joseph Sylvia State Beach, Oak Bluffs Campground, Martha's Vineyard Film Center, Aquinnah Cliffs, Chappaquiddick and Edgartown Lighthouse.
- Salem : Revisit history when you come to Salem. Do not miss The Salem Witch Walk, Bewitched in Salem, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Witch Trials Memorial, and Salem Maritime National Historic Site.
- Plymouth : Learn about the Pilgrims’ history in this beautiful city. Visit the National Monument to the Forefathers, Mayflower II, Pilgrim Memorial State Park, Plimoth Grist Mill, Plymouth Rock, and Plimoth Plantation.
- Cambridge : Home to the two of the world’s best universities - Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), this city is an important educational center. Popular tourist destinations of the city include Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Harvard Museum of Natural History, Longfellow House Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site, Charles River Bike Path, and Peabody Museum.
- Nantucket : When in Nantucket, do not forget to visit the Whaling Museum, Great Point Light, beaches like the Surfside Beach and Madaket Beach, Nantucket Shipwreck & Lifesaving Museum, and Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge.
- Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge : Situated in Chatham, it is a birdwatcher’s paradise.
- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame : If you are a basketball fan, you cannot miss this museum named after James Naismith, the inventor of the game. It is located in Springfield.
Map of Cities in Massachusetts
|Cambridge city Map||New Bedford city Map||Brockton city Map|
|Quincy city Map||Lynn city Map||Fall River city Map|
|Newton city Map||Lawrence city Map||Somerville city Map|
|Framingham Map||Haverhill city Map||Waltham city Map|
Last Updated : August 22, 2016
Official Name Massachusetts
Area10,555 sq mi (27,336 km2)
Population6,745,408 (2014 est)
Official LanguagesNone ( Spoken : English )
Time ZoneEastern: UTC -5/-4
Lt. GovernorKaryn Polito
U.S. SenatorElizabeth Warren, Ed Markey
AbbreviationMA, Mass. US-MA
Joined the UnionFebruary 6, 1788 (6th)
NicknameThe Bay State
Highest PointMount Greylock
Lowest PointAtlantic Ocean