Kentucky USA Map
Kentucky USA Map shows all the of kentucky. Kentucky's nicknamed as the 'Bluegrass State', it is bordered by West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. It is one of the four US states constituted as a commonwealth, others being Virginia, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. There are 120 counties in Kentucky. Louisville and Lexington are the largest cities in the state. Frankfort is the state capital.
History of Kentucky
The land was primarily inhabited by Native American tribes since 1000 BC up until the European contact in the mid-eighteenth century. Originally part of the state of Virginia, Kentucky achieved full statehood in 1792.
The area known as Central Kentucky in the nineteenth century was a major slave-holding region. During the American Civil War, Kentucky was considered one of the “border states”. The state is birthplace of US President Abraham Lincoln and Confederate President Jefferson Davis.
Kentucky on Map
The state of Kentucky is part of the east south-central region (also known as the Upland South) in the US. Eastern Kentucky lies in the Appalachian mountain ranges. Kentucky is best divided into five separate regions geographically. These are the Cumberland plateau, the Bluegrass region, the PennyRoyal plateau, the Western Coal fields and finally, the Jackson purchase. Kentucky has a humid subtropical climate.
Kentucky is a land of diverse environs and abundant resources. Pay heed to soul-stirring tunes of Bluegrass music and absorb the unbridled spirit that runs wild in the state.
Major points of interest in Kentucky include Mammoth Cave National Park
, Newport Aquarium, Beech Bend Park, Louisville Zoo, National Corvette Museum, Cumberland Gap, Buffalo Trace Distillery and Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.
Transportation in Kentucky
- By Air - Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) and Louisville International Airport (SDF) are major airports in the state.
- By Train - The Cardinal and City of New Orleans are two Amtrak routes serving the state.
- By Road - Interstate Highways (I-24, I-64, I-65, and I-71) and U.S. Highways (US 23, US 25, US 27, and US 62) connect major cities in Kentucky.
Education in Kentucky
There are eight major public universities in Kentucky. Out of these, the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville are the ones aimed at research. Other famous universities in the state are Transylvania University and Berea College. The state has 173 school districts. Read more here
Facts about Kentucky
- Standing at 1,263 meters, Black Mountain is the highest point in the state.
- 'Thunder over Louisville' remains the largest annual fireworks display in the US.
- The world's first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant is located in Corbin, Kentucky. More Facts...
Last Updated on: August 04,2020