About Map of Mississippi: This detailed Mississippi map shows the location of Mississippi and its neighboring states – Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee. The Gulf of Mexico is accurately shown on the south of the state. Apart from the state capital and largest city – Jackson – this map shows the major cities located in proximity to airports – Meridian, Columbus, and Gulfport. Major attractions in Mississippi, including Jackson Volcano and Elvis Presley Museum are shown on the map. Rail network, highways and national parks this "Magnolia State" are also covered.
Top Viewed Maps of Mississippi
The state of Mississippi is located in the southern part of the United States. It is bordered to the east by Alabama, to the north by Tennessee, to the south by Louisiana and Gulf of Mexico, and to the west by Arkansas and Louisiana.
Mississippi was inhabited by Paelo-Indians for thousands of years. The first European expedition began in the 16th century and for the next decades the region was ruled by the Spanish, French, and British colonists. After the American Revolution, it became the 20th state to join the Union in 1817. The state had a long tradition of slavery and was badly ravaged by the American Civil War. Post the Civil War, slavery was abolished. In the 20th century, it saw both economic and societal changes, and was an important center of the Civil Rights Movement.
Mississippi is a low-lying state. Most of it is a part of the East Gulf Coastal Plain. The northeastern part of the state is a fertile land with black soil while in the northwestern part of the state lies the famous Mississippi Delta. Other important geographical features of the state include the Black and Central Prairies, Tennessee Hills, Pontotoc Ridge, the low-lying narrow region of Flatwoods, and large bays along the coastline. The prominent river of the state is the Mississippi River.
Mississippi enjoys a warm summer with abundant precipitation and mild winters. The coastal region is vulnerable to tropical cyclones.
The beautiful state of Mississippi is a popular tourist destination. Some important places of tourist interest are:
- Biloxi : When in Biloxi, do visit the Ship Island, Beauvoir, Biloxi Beach, and Ohr-O'Keefe Museum. Also try your luck by playing poker in one of the numerous casinos of the city.
- Jackson : The capital city of Mississippi is home to the famous Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, State Capitol, Old State Capitol, Jackson Zoo, Eudora Welty House, Mississippi Museum of Art, and Mississippi Children's Museum.
- Natchez : Named after the Natchez tribe, this city has a lot to offer its visitors. Some popular places of interest include Natchez Trace Parkway National Park, St. Mary Basilica, Rosalie Mansion, Melrose, and the Natchez National Historical Park.
- Vicksburg : Places of interest in the city include the Vicksburg National Military Park, Lower Mississippi River Museum and Interpretive Center, U.S.S. Cairo Museum, Vicksburg Riverfront Murals, Anchuca Mansion, Catfish Row Art Park, Old Court House Museum, and Balfour House.
- Hattiesburg : Popular tourist destinations include the Armed Forces Museum, Hattiesburg Zoo, Paul B. Johnson State Park, African American Military History Museum, and the Pep's Point Water Park.
- Tupelo : If you are an Elvis Presley fan, you would love to be in his birthplace. Visit the Elvis Presley Birthplace & Museum and Elvis Presley Center to learn more about your favorite icon. Other places of interest in the city include Tupelo National Battlefield, Tupelo Buffalo Park, Tupelo Automobile Museum, and Ballard Park.
- Bay Saint Louis : Do not miss this place! Popular tourist spots include Alice Moseley Folk Art and Antique Museum, Ms Gulf Coast, L & N Historic Train Depot, 100 Men Hall, and Scenic Byways.
Map of Cities in Mississippi
|Gulfport city Map||Southaven city Map||Hattiesburg city Map|
|Meridian city Map||Tupelo city Map||Greenville city Map|
|Olive Branch city Map||Horn Lake city Map||Clinton city Map|
|Pearl city Map||Madison city Map||Ridgeland city Map|
Map of Mississippi Counties
|Adams county Map||Alcorn county Map||Amite county Map|
|Attala county Map||Benton county Map||Bolivar county Map|
|Calhoun county Map||Carroll county Map||Chickasaw county Map|
|Choctaw county Map||Claiborne county Map||Clarke county Map|
Last Updated : August 22, 2016
Official Name Mississippi
Area48,430 sq mi (125,443 km2)
Population2,994,079 (2014 est)
Time ZoneCentral: UTC 6/5
Lt. GovernorTate Reeves
U.S. SenatorThad Cochran, Roger Wicker
AbbreviationMS, Miss. US-MS
Joined the UnionDecember 10, 1817 (20th)
Highest PointWoodall Mountain
Lowest PointGulf of Mexico