Top Viewed VA Maps
Virginia's history is closely tied to the history of the United States, as Virginia played a significant part of the Colonial period as one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Economy of Virginia
Technology is an important part of Virginia's economy, with computer chips as one of the state's highest grossing exports. Military is also a major economic factor in Virginia, with the highest defense spending per capita. In terms of agriculture, Virginia's products include tobacco, tomatoes, peanuts, and soy.
Ethnicity: VA has a population of 8,001,024. The center of population is located in Goochland County outside of Richmond. As of 2000, the five largest reported ancestry groups in Virginia are: African (19.6%), German (11.7%), unspecified American (11.4%), English (11.1%), and Irish (9.8%).
Immigration in the late 20th century and early 21st century has fueled new communities of Hispanics, particularly Central Americans, and Asians.
Religion: VA is predominantly Christian and Protestant. According to a survey, there are 606,059 Roman Catholics in Virginia, representing a membership growth of 57% from 1990. The Jewish population is estimated at 76,140 and there are an estimated 51,021 Muslims. Over 4.1 million people (about 58.4% of the population) are not counted as members of any religious organization.
Language: English is the only language spoken by 6,245,517 (86.7%) Virginians. Among speakers of other languages, Spanish is the most common with 424,381 speakers. Some speak Asian and Pacific Islander languages, including Korean, Vietnamese, and Filipino.
- Virginia was named for England's “Virgin Queen,” Elizabeth I
- Jamestown was the first English settlement in the country, and was also the first capital of Virginia.
- Eight U.S. presidents were born in Virginia: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson.
- The state flower is the blossom of the dogwood tree, the state tree.
- Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia.
Last Updated On : January 25, 2013