Massachusetts Zip Codes
|Islands||Unguja and Pemba|
|Government Type||Semi-autonomous part of Tanzania|
|President||Ali Mohamed Shein|
|Area||1,020 sq mi (2,650 Sq km)|
|Population||1,070,000 (2004 Est.)|
Though being a part of Tanzania, the city has a separate administrative and political system. The city has a separate President, who is elected by the inhabitants of Zanzibar. The capital of Zanzibar is Zanzibar City, which is situated on the Unguja Island.
Zanzibar is also well renowned for its spices. Excellent quality cloves, cinnamon, pepper and nutmeg are available in the city and the primary economy in Zanzibar is based on these spices. These spices are exported to other countries for earning foreign exchange.
Zanzibar also has beautiful beaches, palm-fringed islands and extraordinarily beautiful coral reefs as tourist attractions. Various water sports are also popular in the city. The Stone Town is a historical heritage site, which has colorful markets, meandering roads and extravagant bazaars. The city has a rich and varied culture.
Zanzibar is very rich in both flora and fauna. There are rich diversities of animals and birds found in the various forests of Zanzibar.
People of Zanzibar come from a mixture of ethnic backgrounds with Islam as the main religion of the city. Apart from Islam, Hinduism and Christianity are also followed in Zanzibar. Swahili is the mother tongue of Zanzibar.
Zanzibar beaches are the places where one can unwind and surrender oneself to nature carelessly. A wonderful holiday at the beaches in Zanzibar will shed all the anxieties and breathe new life into an individual. The beaches of Zanzibar are clean and tranquil and help to reach a blissful state. Strolling on the quiet beaches while sipping exotic cocktails, takes one to paradise.
The turquoise waters of the sea welcome one to explore the depths of the sea. There are also awesome coral reefs that make the beaches more beautiful. Watching sunrise or sunset from a Zanzibar beach can become a memorable experience for lifetime, which can be cherished long and forever. The sun-kissed beaches in Zanzibar are places for relaxation. Many people are seen sun-tanning themselves on the beaches, while children enjoy beach football and beach-volley.
There are around 25 exotic white sand beaches in Zanzibar, which have small fishing villages in close proximity to the beaches. Some of the well known beaches in Zanzibar include Nungwi, Mangapwani, Pwani Mchangani, Uroa and Jambiani. Most of the beaches have extravagant beach resorts, which offer world-class facilities to the tourists.
Various water sports activities are common in the Zanzibar beaches. There are options for diving, scuba diving and snorkeling along with deep water fishing options. Swimming in the warm waters of the sea is also a pleasant experience. The peace and solitude with the un-spoilt beaches will keep calling tourists for more.
Places to Visit in Zanzibar:
- Stone Town
- Pemba Island
- Zanzibar Butterfly Centre
- Paje Beach, Paje
- Stone Town, Zanzibar, Stone Town
- Forodhani Park, Stone Town
- Sandbank Picnic - Dhow Safaris
- East Africa Diving Centre, Nungwi
- Prison Island - Changuu Private Island, Stone Town
- Uroa Bay, Uroa Village
- Mrembo Spa, Stone Town
- Nungwi Natural Aquarium, Nungwi
- House of Wonders (Beit-el-Ajaib), Stone Town
- Mnarani Marine Turtles Conservation Pond, Nungwi
- Palace Museum (Beit al-Sahel), Stone Town
- Cinnamon Spa
- Shakti Temple, Stone Town
- The Old Fort (Ngome Kongwe), Stone Town
- Zanzibar Land Animal Park (ZALA)
- Scuba Libre Diving Centre, Matemwe
- Mbweni Ruins
- Malindi Mosque, Stone Town
- Airborne Kite Centre, Paje
- Fairmont Zanzibar Diving, Unguja City
- Hamamni Persian Baths, Stone Town
- Marahubi Palace, Stone Town
- Kiwengwa Caves, Kiwengwa
- Kilele Square, Stone Town
- Mangapwani Coral Cave
- Peace Memorial Museum (Beit el Amani), Stone Town
- Livingstone's House
- The Arab Fort
- The Old Dispensary
- Special Sunrise Cruise - Dhow Safaris
- isola Nakupenda Beaches, Stone Town
- Chumbe Private Island
Major Hotels and Resorts in Zanzibar:
- Kichanga Lodge
- Melia Zanzibar
- DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Zanzibar - Nungwi
- Dongwe Ocean View
- Chavda Hotel
- Zanzibar Grand Palace Hotel
- L'Oasis Beach Hotel Kizimkazi
- Nungwi Lodge Ora Resort
- Pearl of Zanzibar
- The Seyyida Hotel And Spa
- Ora Resort Myblue
- Ras Michamvi Beach Resort
- Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel
- Sea Cliff Resort & Spa
- Twisted Palms Lodge & Restaurant
- Mbuyuni Beach Village - Bungalows
- Al Johari
- Mashariki Palace Hotel
- Mauwani Inn
- Sandies Neptune Pwani Beach