The Italian city of Naples is a major economic center in the country, having a GDP of $43 billion. Sectors making major contribution to the economy include – agriculture, industry, commerce and tourism.
- Total area: 45.3 square miles
- Population: 960,000 (approximately)
- Geographical coordinates: 40°50′N 14°15′E
Tourist Attractions in Naples
Naples has one of the best natural harbors in Italy and attracts travelers who want to enjoy the Mediterranean climate. The city has adequate recreational facilities for both adventure and art lovers.
- Spaccanapoli – Located near Montesanto, this famous road in the city literally means ‘the road that separates Naples into two’. Stores selling souvenirs and Italian foods are set up both sides.
- Mount Vesuvius – Grapes and olives are grown in abundance in the areas around this volcanic mountain. There is a museum at the site, which exhibits inhabitants of the area immortalized when the volcanic eruption happened.
- The Naples Archeological Museum – Artifacts and objects from the excavation sites at Pompeii, Herculaneum and collection of Roman sculptures can be seen here.
- Piazza del Plebiscito – This Peoples Square features a crescent shaped piazza enclosed with monuments such as Umberto I Gallery and the Basilica of San Francesco di Paola.
- Quartieri Spagnoli – This Spanish quarter built in 1530 has palaces, churches and roads, including the famous Via Toledo.
The Autostrada roadway system efficiently connects Naples to other parts of Italy. Autostrada del Sole also referred to as A1 connects Naples to the north of Milan; A3 goes to to Salerno while the A16 goes to Canosa.
Public transport system in side the city includes tram, buses, trolleybuses and funiculars. Napoli Centrale is the major train station in the city; other stations are Napoli Mergellina and Napoli Campi Flegri. A high-speed railway line connects the city to Rome; the distance is covered in less than an hour.
Being a port city, there are several ferries, hydrofoil and SWATH catamarans service available for the public. Places for which these services are available include: Sorrento, Positano, Capri, Amalfi, Salernitan province and Ischia. The major airport in the city is the Naples International Airport.
Hotels in Naples
There are a variety of hotels in different price range for travelers to Naples. The budget hotels offer great value for money with facilities like currency exchange, banquet, bar, internet connectivity and conference facilities as well in some of them. Hotels in some categories are listed here:
Luxury Hotels in Naples
- UNA Hotel Napoli
- Hotel Palazzo Decumani
- Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli M Label
- Hotel Diamond
- Hotel Neapolis
- Hotel Nuovo Rebecchino
- Holiday Inn Napoli
- Le Cheminee Business Hotel
- Hotel Charming International