Slupsk is a city in northwestern Poland with approximately 100,000 inhabitants. It is the capital of Middle Pomerania and was previously the capital of Slupsk County within the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999.
Slupsk is located on the Slupia River, about 18 km away from the Baltic Sea. Historically it is twinned with Slawno and Ustka, smaller towns lying close by. The current status of the city is as follows:
- Slupsk has a landscape area of 43,15 km2, of which 21,12 km2 is used for construction, 5,74 km2 comprises the forest and 11,86 km2 of fields.
- Slupsk has 99 674 population, with 53 106 women and 46 568 men. The birthrate is as low as 0%
- The unemployment rate is high, the estimation of May 2006, showed that there were 7830 unemployed people, among which 4372 were women.
Slupsk was founded during the 9th century when a Slavic God was worshiped on one of the islands of the Slupia. The munition and a small Slavic village were built on the hill, which is now converted to St Otton’s Church. From 1938 to 1945 there was a big radio station at Slupsk called the Transmitter Stolp. After the defeat of Nazi Germany in May of 1945 in World War II, the existing population was completely discharged by Soviet and Polish forces, and the city was again repopulated with Poles.
Slupsk is expanding northwards, thus creating special tax areas for further investments or building tourist spots. The city boundaries have not changed, but the city is undergoing rapid development and upgradation.