Current, Credible, Consistent
- 2016 Olympics
- Summer Olympics 2016
- Rio 2016 Olympics
- Rio Olympics Tickets
- Rio Olympics Participating Countries
- Rio Olympics Venues
- Parade of Participants
- 2020 Olympics Host City Map
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics
- Rio Olympics Infographic
- Olympics Updates
- Highlights of Olympic Games
- Famous Olympic Athletes
- Olympics Host Cities
- Olympics Events
- Ancient Olympics
- Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics
- Medal Tally
- Venue Map
- Rio Schedule
- Rio de Janeiro
Vera Casalavska - Famous Gymnast
Full Name: Vera Caslavska
Date of Birth: 3 rd May, 1942
Country: Czech Republic
Sport involved in: Gymnastics
- Silver medal winner in the team event at the 1958 World Championships
- Member of the silver medal winning Czech team in the 1960 Rome Summer Games
- Gold medalist in the vault and balance beam events in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics
- Winner of the individual all-round title at the 1964 Tokyo Summer Olympics
- Silver medalist in the team competition in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics
- Winner of gold medal in the team event at the 1966 World Championships
- Winner of the individual all-round title at the 1968 Mexico City Summer Games
- Gold medalist in the vault, uneven bars and floor events in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics
- Winner of the silver medal in the team competition and the balance beam event in the 1968 Mexico City Summer Games
- Appointed as the adviser of President Havel
- Chosen the Honorary President of the Czech-Japan Association
- Elected President of the Czech Olympic Committee
- Appointed to the IOC Membership Committee in 1995
- Inducted in the Women's International Hall of Fame
- Inducted in the International Gymnastics Hall of Fame in 1998
Career: Vera Caslavska was originally a figure skater. Caslavska entered into the domain of gymnastics with her appearance at the 1958 World championships. She won a silver medal in the team event at the competition. Since then, in her gymnastic career, Caslavska became the winner of 22 international titles. Caslavska competed in the 1960 Rome Summer Games for the first time. She won silver medal in the team event in the Games. At the peak of her career, Caslavska participated in the 1964 Tokyo Summer Games . She won the individual all-round title in the Games. Caslavska became the gold medalist in the balance beam and vault events and won silver medal in the team event. Caslavska was able to win gold medal in the team event at the 1966 World Championships. This achievement broke the Soviet monopoly in the event for some times. At her third Olympic appearance in the 1968 Mexico City Summer Olympics , Caslavska won medals in all six events of the gymnastics competition with four gold and two silver medals.
Performance at the Olympics: Vera Caslavska was a member of the silver medal winning Czech team at the 1960 Rome Summer Games . In the 1964 Tokyo Olympics , Caslavska was in her top form. In the competition she won the individual all-round title. She also became winner in the balance beam and vault events and won silver medal in the team event. In the 1968 Mexico City Summer Games , Caslavska was the winner of individual all-round title. She also won gold medals in the uneven bars, floor exercise and vault events. In the team competition and the balance beam event, Caslavska won silver medals.
Team USA defeated team Serbia to win its third straight basketball gold medal in Men’s Basketball tournament. The winning team’s coach Mike Krzyzewski was utmost delighted with his team’s victory on the final day of Rio 2016 Olympic Games. USA won by a 19-15 lead and this is their 25th straight victory at the Olympic Games in addition to the 15th straight victory in the basketball tournament.
Mo Farah of Great Britain has bagged the gold by winning the 5000 meters final and completed the double double. According to media reports, with this victory Farah has become the second man in the history of Olympics to be able to successfully defend his 5000 and 10000 Olympic championships. His victory is being hailed on Twitter with some calling him the greatest long distance runner of all time. Meanwhile, the silver medal has gone to Paul Kipkemoi Chelimo and Dejen Gebremeskel of Ethiopia has bagged the bronze.
In the women's event, Caster Semenya of South Africa won the Olympic gold in the 800m. She won in one minute 55.28 seconds. Francine Niyonsaba of Burundi won the silver medal and Kenya's Margaret Nyairera Wambui bagged the bronze.
Chen Long of China has taken gold medal in the Rio Olympics 2016 after defeating Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, who has won a silver in men’s badminton today. Lee was facing pressure not to lose the match. He beat Lin Dan of China in the semi-final. Lee and Lin, both are considered to be the best players of their time. With Lee’s defeat, Malaysia has missed out the chance of getting an Olympic gold medal.
Italy came up with a win and is heading to men's volleyball final against Brazil, after defeating USA. The US men's volleyball team tried all their survival skills, but could not stand in front of Italy. The winning team's thriller was 30-28, 26-28, 9-25, 25-22, 15-9. After it was over, US coach John Speraw said that the team was not skilled enough and they did not execute on some of the opportunities, which Italy flawlessly did
French boxer Estelle Mossely celebrated her 24th birthday by winning a gold medal in Women’s lightweight boxing championship. She defeated China’s Yin Junhua after the end of four rounds that had the two defending champions leveled on the scorecards of three judges. The bronze medals were earned by Mira Potkonen of Finland and Anastasia Beliakova of Russia.