Age Structure: In March 1999, the population of the Rhone-Alpes Region was estimated around 5,645,407. 9.6% of the world's population of France resides here. The number of inhabitants has increased by 300,000. The 20 to 39 age group accounts for 14.1% of the population.
Racial Makeup: French law forbids taking any data related to race or religious groups in a census. It is thus not possible to know the racial make up of any French city.
Economy: Lyon is the second largest economic center in France. The city has a comprehensive transport network. The city welcomes over 6 million passengers every year. The industrial strength of Lyon comprises mainly of chemical engineering (Rhodia, Elf Atocham, etc). The pharmaceutical industry is the second biggest sector in Lyon. Metallurgy and electronics etc are a part of its large industrial sector. Lyon's information technology sector is well established and is supported by the city's research and higher education centers.
Climate: The summers are steamy and sticky and the winters are harsh. In the summer months there is high humidity. Lyon is located 659 feet above the sea level. The average temperature is the highest in the month of July and August at about 72°F. It rains throughout the year in Lyon.
Rainfall: Lyon receives an annual rainfall of 826mm (33 inches)
Government Type: Lyon is divided into 9 sub-divisions, known as municipal arrondissements.
Major Political Parties:
- Lutte Ouvriere (LO) - Worker's Struggle
- Ligue Communiste Revolutionnaire (LCR) - Revolutionary Communist League
- Parti des Travailleurs (PT) - Party of the Workers
- Parti Communiste Francais (PCF) - French Communist Party
- Les Verts - The Greens
- Union pour un Mouvement Populaire (UMP) - Union for a Popular Movement
- Parti Socialiste (PS) - Socialist Party
- Front National (FN) - National Front