Yokosuka is an important seaside city located near Tokyo, in the Kanagawa prefecture in Japan. Yokosuka continues to be a major port on the Tokyo Bay. Historically, Yokosuka has always had a place of importance in Japan.
The area is also famous for being the residence of William Adams, known as Anjin Miura in Japanese, who was a British officer who joined the services of the Shogun and was honored as a Samurai.
The Yokosuka port is jointly operated by the Japanese and the US Navy. There are four main wharves in Yokosuka -
- Nagaura Pier
- Shinko Pier
- Heisei Pier
- Kurihama Pier
Tourist Attractions and Things to do in Yokosuka -
- The Tsukayama Prefectural Park , built around the memorial to William Adams. The Park has a thousand cherry trees which bloom every spring.
- The Miura Clan Historical Site with monuments such as the remains of the Kinugasa Castle and the Manshoji Temple , is a famous heritage site.
- The beautifully designed Perry Park commemorated the Commodore Perry's visit to Japan in 1853.
- The Tateishi is the stunning rock monolith near the Akiya beach in Yokosuka. The monolith is around 12 meters in height and is one of Yokosuka's icons. The beauty of the area with the silhouette of the Fujiyama in the background, has been famed through the ages and mentioned in many ancient texts.
- The traditionally designed Mikasa Park has a theme of Light, Water and Sound. The park has musical dancing fountains and several monuments from the Second World War. The most noteworthy of these is the battleship Mikasa, from which the park gets its name.
- The Kannonzaki Lighthouse is a Yokosuka Landmark. Built in 1868, it is the first western lighthouse in Japan and it still guides ships across Tokyo Bay. The Kannonzaki Prefectural Park has been built in the area around the lighthouse.
- Kurihama Hana-no-Kuni or the Kurihama Flower World is a wonderful amusement park for the whole family to enjoy. Tourists can enjoy the beautiful herb garden, which is one of the largest with around 240 species of flowering and fragrant herbs. There is a themed playground called Adventure Land with old fashioned playground equipment. The Poppy and Cosmos Gardens are in full bloom during spring and are a popular attraction. The Unique Flower Train has three old fashioned cars pulled by a small engine. The ride enables the visitors to enjoy the scenic beauty of the Flower World.
- Visitors to the Tsukuihama Kanko Noen Farm cam try picking Strawberries, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Tangerines.
|More Cities in Japan|
Last Updated on: December 13th, 2017