The city of Minamata is located along the scenic coast of the Shiranui Sea. Minamata is a city located in Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan. It is on the west coast of Kyushu and was founded on April 1, 1949. Its sister city is Devonport in Australia.
As part of an effort to establish itself as an environmental city, they have taken up rigorous garbage classification and recycling programs, promotion of practices saving energy and protection of natural resources. Minamata Eco Town is an industrial park which is located just outside Minamata's city center and has several recycling related companies. As part of the program, the local people have promised to follow the following instructions:
- To transfer the lessons learned from Minamata Disease down to the next generation.
- To promote relief measures for victims of Minamata Disease and reconciliation among the victims and local residents.
- Encouraging changes in industrial activities to protect people and all living things in ecocycles.
- To protect the fundamental elements of life like sea, rivers, and mountains, and handing them down in proper condition to the coming generations.
- Reviewing the structure of modern civilization and proposing new social systems based on the thrifty use of our limited natural resources.
The major attractions of Minamata city are as follows:
- Minamata Disease Museum
- Eco City Minamata
- Yunotsuru Hot spring
- Yunoko Hot spring
- Fukuda Farm
|More Cities in Japan|
Last Updated on: December 12th, 2017