Home > Canada Map > Canada Population

Canada Population

by Vishal Kumar

The population of Canada is 38.6 million according to July 2022 estimate. It has a population growth rate of 1.1% annually. Canada is larger than the United States. However, more than 90% of Canada's population live within 150 miles of US border.



The total estimated population of Canada in 2022, is approximately 38.6 million.

Canada’s population in 2016 was 35 million. For the year, 2016 the estimated birthrate is 10.2 births per 1,000 and the death rate is 8.5 deaths per 1,000 members of the population, while the infant mortality rate is 4.6 deaths per 1,000 live births. The sex ratio is estimated to be 1.06 males for every female and the growth rate of the population is estimated at 0.74%.

The distribution of the population in Canada is quite uneven. Nearly 90% of its population is concentrated in the southern part of the county and within 100 miles of the US border. The estimated population density is nine persons per sq. mi.

The estimated figures for the year 2016 for age structure in Canada show that 15.44% of the population consists of children between 0-14 years, 12.12% of the population is in the early working age between 15-24 years, 40.32% of the population is in the prime working age between 25-54 years, 13.94% of the population is in the mature working age between 55-64 years and 18.18% of the population is in the elderly age of 65 years and over.

As per the 2015 estimate, 81.8% of the total population in Canada is classified as urban population, while the remaining 18.2% is classified as rural population.

Know: Is abortion legal in Canada?

Social Attributes

Social AttributesThe main religion in Canada is Christianity, comprising of Roman Catholics, Protestants, and other Christian sects however, the country also has a Muslim population and people of other unspecified faiths.

The official languages of Canada are English and French, but other languages are also spoken in the country.

The ethnic groups living in Canada include whites of British, French, and other European origins, Amerindians, Asians, Africans, Arabs, and others of mixed backgrounds.

The second largest country in the world is Canada but as far as its population is concerned it just has the 33 rd position. However, the number of people there has increased in the last 150 years.

According to statistics, Canada shows that there has been an increase of 3.6% between 1996 and 2000. In the 2006 estimation of the United Nations States Census International Program Center, the number is 34,568,211 (July 2013 estimate). Census reports in the country are taken every 5 years.

The population of the country contains a lot of ethnic groups. As the 2001 census reveals that no less than 34 such groups inhabit there. This consists of English, French, German, Italian, Irish, Ukrainian, First Nations, and Chinese as well. Incidentally, the per capita immigration rate in Canada is the highest. More on Canada’s Population

Most of the Canadian population is settled along the US border and the Quebec City -Windsor Corridor namely Montreal, Ottawa (the area under the metropolitan), Golden Horse Shoe-South Central Ontario, the British Columbia Lower Mainland (Vancouver and its surroundings), etc. One thing that needs to be noted is most of the immigrants inhabit the cities like Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver.

Like the diverse population, Canada also boasts of having a variety of religions. The majority of the people follow Christianity, followed by Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism.

The adult literacy rate in the country is about 99%. A report from 2002 has shown that about 43% of the age group of 25-64 has received post-secondary education. This percentage increases to 51% among the people belonging to the age group 25-34.

The natural growth rate in the country at present can be said to be 0.3% whereas the overall growth rate is 0.9%. The two factors behind this are surely the country’s practicing of Open Immigration policies and the birth rate exceeding the death rate. So though Canada’s population is not high it is growing at a healthy pace than most of the industrialized countries of the world.

Related Maps