Lat Long13 00 N, 85 00 W
Area130,375 km (50,193 sq mi)
Population5,907,881 (July 2015 est.)
Major ReligionRoman Catholic 58.5%, Protestant 23.2% (Evangelical 21.6%, Moravian 1.6%), Jehovah's Witnesses 0.9%, other 1.6%, none 15.7% (2005 est.)
National Day15 September (1821)
Form of GovernmentUnitary state, Presidential system, Republic
Vice PresidentRosario Murillo
GDP$31.721 billion (2015 Est.)
Time ZoneCST (UTC-6)
Where is Nicaragua located ?
Nicaragua is located in Central America and also the largest country in the region. On the north side of Nicaragua is Honduras and to the south lies Costa Rica. It is marginally bigger than New York State. Nicaragua is rugged in the west, with fruit-filled valleys. Two major lakes, Nicaragua and Managua, are connected by the Tipitapa River. The Pacific coast is volcanic and exceptionally fruitful. The swampy Caribbean coast is appropriately called the "Mosquito Coast."
The total area of Nicaragua is 50,193 square miles, out of which the land area is about 46,430 square miles.
What is the capital of Nicaragua ?
Managua is the capital city of Nicaragua, with a population of about 1.2 million. It is the third-largest city in Central America.
What is the population of Nicaragua ?
The population of Nicaragua is about six million. The population is mostly multi-ethnic.
What kind of government does Nicaragua have ?
Nicaragua presidential form of government in a majority rule republic, where the President of Nicaragua is both head of state and head of government, and of a multi-party framework. The three branches of government are the Administration, the Legislature (National Assembly), and the Judiciary, which is autonomous of the executive and the legislature.
What kind of economy prevails in Nicaragua ?
Nicaragua is the poorest country in Central America, with around 48 percent of the people living below the poverty line. Agriculture accounts for 17 percent of the GDP, which is highest in Central America. Around 79 percent of the population earns only 2 dollars in a day. This means that Nicaragua’s minimum wage per day is the lowest in the world and in America also. Agriculture accounts for nearly 60 percent of the total exports, which makes Nicaragua an agriculturalist country. Mining is also becoming a primary source of business. Tourism is one of the major growing industries and is the second-highest revenue earner. The rise in tourism industry has enhanced growth in various sectors of agriculture, finance, and construction industries.
What religion is followed in Nicaragua ?
The main religion followed in Nicaragua is Roman Catholic. Followers of this faith form about 80 percent of the population. The religion of Nicaragua forms a major part of their culture and is in the constitution. Patron Saints are honoured throughout the big cities of Managua followed by small rural communities. The education system prevailing in Nicaragua is mainly supported by Roman Catholic bodies.
What is the national language of Nicaragua ?
A large majority of people in Nicaragua speak Spanish. English and other native dialects are spoken along the Caribbean coast and in parts of the Atlantic plain. Numerous Nicaraguans likewise talk some English. The North and south Atlantic regions have people speaking Dutch, English, Portuguese, Spanish, and French.
What is the currency of Nicaragua ?
The Nicaragua Cordoba is the national currency of Nicaragua. Many big institutions accept US dollars. Major credit cards also accepted all over the country. ATM facility is also easily available.
What is the best time to visit Nicaragua ?
Nicaragua experiences a tropical climate. Though the country is divided into two main seasons, but the weather remains almost the same throughout with some minor changes in temperatures. The two main season are known as dry or summer season and wet or winter season. The dry season starts from December till April and the wet season is from May till November. The best time to visit Nicaragua is after December, when rains have finished and you can experience greenery all around the place. During this time you can enjoy various adventure activities involving bird watching, fishing, kayaking, boating, and so on.
What are the main attractions in Nicaragua ?
The country of Nicaragua is full of various attractions and adventures. The places of interest are:
- Rio San Juan - Rio San Juan is a famous spot for enthusiasts who are fond of outdoor adventure. It is situated in the Southern part of the country and provides an opportunity for water sports and fishing. The area is a paradise for wildlife lovers. The place is surrounded by Lake Nicaragua and San Juan River.
- The Jose Coronel Urtecho Cultural Center - This center is a part of the San Carlos’s central park. It was created in the memory of a famous Nicaraguan poet. The center gives an insight about the history of San Juan River. It is considered a main attraction of the park.
- Los Guatuzos Wildlife refuge - The wildlife park is spread over an area of 437 kilometers, which is located towards the south of Lake Nicaragua. The wildlife refuge consists of over a dozen small rivers and ponds. This place is internationally renowned for its wetlands. You can also experience the beauty of wildlife with bird watching, and observing crocodiles and monkeys.
- The Indio Maiz Biological reserve - This vast reserve is spread over an area of 3,000 kilometers. It comprises of lowland rainforests which is an abode to thousands of species consisting of animals, birds, trees and small insects. This lowland reserve is the largest in the Amazon. This biological park has the country’s largest variety of birds and is also the home of jaguars and puma, racoons, and wild boar.
- Volcano climbing - This adventure sport has recently gained popularity due to its difficulty level and at the same time to experience the depth of these volcanoes. Nicaragua is full of such volcanoes which provide a lot of adventure and fun. But the main thing is that this kind of activity involves a risk factor, so it is always advisable to accompany a tour group with certified guides who can help you climb up and get you back down, on time, and safely. Some of the major volcanoes in Nicaragua are Cerro Negro Volcano, El Hoyo Volcano, Masaya Volcano, and San Cristobal volcano. Some of the volcanoes are active and some lie dormant.
Last Updated on: July 12th, 2018