Legend says that the city was founded by Ocno Bianor. In 2nd century BC, the Roman Empire established an outpost on the site on which the present
The city of Madrid is located on the banks of the Manzanares River. Sprawled across 200 square miles, the city lies on the Meseta ( a broad plateau). Besides, the city gets main source of water from the dams that have been built on the Lozoya River.
Madrid enjoys a Mediterranean type of climate. Winters are cool and snow is not uncommon. Rainfall is concentrated in autumn and spring and summers can be quite hot and dry.
How to reach (transport)
The Madrid-Bajaras Airport caters to a number of destinations all over the world and is located only 13 kms away from the city. Metro links and commuter train lines connect the airport to the city.
Madrid has two railway stations at Chamartin and Atocha. Train connections exist with various destinations within Spain and with the rest of Europe. Traveling by road is quite popular and there are eight giant intercity and international bus stations in the city.
When to visit
The best time to visit Madrid is from April to June. The weather during this time is sunny and cool and occasional showers are also seen.
Culture (fairs and festivals) and traditions
Madrid has been described as one of the most vibrant and lively cities of Europe. Something or other is always happening here and it has a very entertaining nightlife as well. Some of the most famous festivals of Madrid are as follows:
- Dos dey Mayo celebrates the beginning of the War of Independence that started in Madrid against the French in 1808. The day is celebrated with parades, marches and dancers performing on streets. Events like concerts, bull fights and sporting events are held. A firework display is organized on 1st May.
- San Isidro is a month long celebration starting in mid-May to honor the patron saints of the city. People dress up in traditional garbs while bullfights are common.
- La Paloma is celebrated on 15th August. A portrait of the Virgen de La Paloma is carried around in a procession by firemen. Thousands of people race through the streets to attend the party at the Latina center while water is thrown the people on the streets to cool them.
- Fiesta de la Almudena is celebrated on 9th November to honor the female patron saint of the city. A mass is held and processions occur throughout the city.
- Semana Santa is a weeklong celebration held around Easter where pictures of the Virgin Mary and Jesus are carried around in solemn processions.
- Feria Taurina is the famous bull fighting fair held in May. Concerts and dances are also held.
- La Transhumancia is an exciting annual event when center of Madrid is kept free of cars. Instead, shepherds exercise their ancient right to drive livestock through the city.
Points of interest (places to visit)
There are a vast number of things to see in Madrid. Whether you want to enjoy history or religion or sports or the ethnic cuisine, Madrid can fulfill your expectations and more. Here are some of the most important landmarks of the city.
- The Prado Museum is one of the best art museums with over 8000 exhibits. Several masterpieces of Spanish, Flemish, Dutch, Italian and German artists are displayed here.
- The Renia Sofia National Art Museum is devoted to a vast and varied collection of contemporary art and hosts numerous shows and conferences.
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum contains more than 1000 examples of the best of contemporary art.
- The Royal Palace of Madrid and Royal Armory is another important landmark of the city. Tourists often gather to watch the changing of guard ceremony.
Apart from these, there are numerous cathedrals, museums, flea market and the vibrant nightlife to help you enjoy Madrid more.
When it comes to vacation, you need to plan for a relaxed stay as well; and Madrid offers some of the best options to travelers in this aspect. There are hotels for every budget in the city of Madrid. The five star hotels include Ritz, Silken Puerta America, Urban, Hesperia, Westin Palace etc while the four star hotels include Petit Palace, Vincci Capitol, Des Las Letras, Emperador etc. The three star hotels include Ibis Style, Praktik Metropole, Abalu, Best Western etc. In addition, guest houses and hostels offer budget accommodation in the city.
|LOCATION||Located on the river Manzanares in the center of the country.|
|GEOGRAPHIC COORDINATES||Latitude 40º24 N, Longitude 3º41 W|
|AREA||607 sq. km|
|Major Cities of Spain|