Petra which means "stone" in Greek is the most spectacular ancient city of Jordan. Petra is also known as "a rose-red city". It is located just outside the town of Wadi Mousa in southern Jordan. Petra, the famous archaeological site draws huge number of tourists every year.
Petra has been inhabited from prehistoric times. The city of Petra was the capital of the Nabateans-Arabs who dominated the lands of Jordan during the pre-Roman times. For seven centuries Petra laid into the mists of legend, while its existence is a guarded secret known only to the local Bedouins and Arab tradesmen. Finally, in 1812, a young Swiss explorer named Johann Ludwig Burckhardt heard locals speaking of a "lost city" hidden in the mountains of Wadi Mousa. Thus the secret of Petra was revealed to the modern Western world by Burckhardt. In the Bible it is written that Prophet Aaron, brother of Moses and Miriam died in Petra.
Petra Tourist Attractions :
Petra is a fortress city and a vibrant place with its own history, culture and monuments. There numerous tourist attractions in Petra. Some of the popular tourist attractions in Petra include:
- Obelisk Tomb - the tomb is seven meters high. Five graves were found inside the tomb, four represented by pyramid-shaped pillars and the last by a statue between the middle pillars.
- Al- Khazneh - one of the most elegant remains of antiquity, it is carved out of solid rock from the side of a mountain and stands over 40 meters high.
- The Corinthian Tomb - a replica of Nero's Golden Palace in Rome.
- The Palace Tomb - it is a three storey imitation of a Roman palace and one of the largest monuments in Petra.
- The Petra Church - it is the fifth and sixth century cathedral, which are currently being excavated and preserved.
Accommodations in Petra :
Both luxury and budget hotels are easily available in the city of Petra. Few of the popular hotels in Petra are:
- Petra Movenpick
- Sofitel Taybet Zamaan
- Crown Plaza Petra
- Petra Palace
- Petra Guest House
How To Reach Petra?
Visitors can reach this archaeological wonderland, Petra from Amman by the Desert Highway, a journey, which takes about three hours. While you can also reach through the King's Highway, which takes a minimum of five hours. From Aqaba the drive is about 82 miles.
Undoubtedly Petra is the most famous attraction in Jordan.
|List of Cities|
|Amman Map||Irbid Map||Kerak Map||Petra Map|
|Aqaba Map||Jerash Map||Madaba Map||Zarqa Map|
Last Updated Date: September 28, 2016