History of the Flag of Georgia
The red St. George's cross has represented Georgia since the 5th century, and the flag with all five crosses has been used since around the 13th century. The extra four crosses may have been added when George V ruled the kingdom, incorporating the Christian influence brought by crusaders.
Though this flag was used since medieval times, it fell out of use for many years. Georgia used a flag of wine red, black, and white from 1918 to 1921, and again from 1990 to 2004. The colors of that flag represented the good times of past and future with the red, Russian rule with the black, and hope and peace with the white.
Georgia fell under Soviet rule, using a red and blue Soviet flag until in 1991 when the country fought for independence and saw the five-cross flag as a symbol of Georgian unity and independence. There was controversy over using this flag, and the country officially readopted the pre-Soviet flag of wine red, white, and black for a short period of time. Georgia officially adopted the flag on January 14, 2004.
Last Updated On : January 12, 2013