Download Cricket World Cup Schedule in PDF
Records are part and parcel of a game. As the players continue to improve performance, records keep changing. As the game is becoming more modern, competition among the teams have reached a new level.
No one is prepared to leave an inch to their opponents. This intense rivalry between the teams is very exciting to watch. In team records we catalog the best team performances at the World Cup.
- Sri Lanka holds the record for the highest team total at the World Cup. They scored 398/5 against Kenya at Kandy during the 1996 World Cup. Aravinda de Silva was the hero of the match scoring 145 from 153 balls. Asanka Gurusinha also chipped in with 84.
- Canada holds the dubious record of having the lowest score at the World Cup. They were dismissed for 36 by Sri Lanka at Paarl during the 2003 World Cup in South Africa. Five of their batsmen were dismissed for naught while the highest for the innings was nine.
- Sr Lanka also holds the record for highest total achieved while batting second. At the 1992 World Cup, they overwhelmed Zimbabwe ‘s total of 312/4 by reaching 313, losing seven wickets in the process.
- Australia also holds the record for the maximum number of centuries at the World Cup by any team. They have 15 centuries from 58 matches.
- Australia has the highest win percentage at the World Cup. They have won 40 of their 58 matches having a winning percent of 68.96.
- With an unbroken run of 12 victories at the World Cup, Australia holds the record for the most consecutive victories at the World Cup.
- Zimbabwe has lost 18 matches consecutively from 11/06/1983 to 14/03/1992 at the World Cup. This losing streak earns them the record for the longest losing streak at the World Cup.
- The Australians broke another record at the 2003 World Cup when they defeated Namibia by 256 runs. This is the highest victory margin at the World Cup.
- Australia also holds the record for the lowest victory margin while batting first. Twice they have won by one run and on both the occasions their opponents were India (1987 & 1992). While batting second, the West Indies and Pakistan jointly holds the record with one-wicket victories. In 1975 the West Indies beat Pakistan by one wicket and in 1987 Pakistan returned the favor with a victory over the West Indies.