Lesotho information provides a number of important facts on the country. This South African country lies at 29°30’South latitude and 28°30’East longitude. The country enjoys hot and rainy summer and cold winters. Lesotho is located in the Karoo basin. The land area covered by Lesotho is 30,355 square kilometers. It has got a mountainous terrain with plateau area.
Some of the important information on Lesotho is given below:
- The capital of Lesotho is Maseru.
- Lesotho achieved her independence from United Kingdom on 4th October, 1966.
- The type of government in Lesotho is parliamentary constitutional monarchy.
- The constitution was formed on 2nd April, 1993.
- A person has the right to vote in Lesotho after attaining the age of 18 years.
- The government of Lesotho has got three branches namely, executive, legislative and judiciary.
- Prime Minister is the head of the government.
- The chief of the state is King Letsie III.
- The flag of Lesotho has blue (top), white (middle), and green (bottom) horizontal stripes. There is a black colored Basotho hat in the middle of the white stripe.
- Other information about Lesotho is as follows:
- The nationality of the people of Lesotho is Basotho.
- The total population of Lesotho is 2,125,262 (2007 census).
- The rate of population growth is 0.144%.
- The official languages of Lesotho are Sesotho and English. The people also speak in Zulu and Xhosa.
- Christianity is the religion of about 80% of the population.
- Various ethnic groups of Lesotho are Sotho 99.7%, Asians, Europeans and others constitutes 0.3% of the population.
- The literacy rate of Lesotho is 84.8%.
- The major agricultural crops of the country are barley, wheat, sorghum, corn and pulses.
- The main industrial products are handicrafts, food, beverages and textiles.
- The natural resources of Lesotho are diamonds, building stone, water, clay and sand.
- The major export partners of Lesotho are United States, Canada and Belgium. The import partners of the country are China, Hong Kong, India and Germany.