Pancevo, a town in the Serbian district of Vojvodina, is located on the western banks of the river Danube close to Belgrade. Pancevo in Serbia, has a population of approximately 73,000 people. The history of Pancevo goes back to the Roman era
The Pancevo people comprises Serbians, Germans, Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Croats and others. Religion wise the Pancevo populace can be classified into Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Calvinist, Jewish and others.
Pancevo town was famous for its oil refineries and chemical factories till 1999 when most of them were destroyed by bombings. Since then it has shown remarkable signs of recovery.
Tourist Sites in Pancevo
Pancevo is famous for its churches and monasteries. The notable among them are:
- The Orthodox Church of Uspenska – This twin towered church in the center of Pancevo has been the symbol of this town. This baroque style church was constructed in 1807. The two towers constructed in 1815 are square in shape, each with a clock and bronze roof. The church was renovated in 1857, and fresco paintings put up in the 1930s by artist Zivorad Natasijevic.
- The Orthodox Church of Preobrazenska – This church constructed in 1878 is a combination of Byzantine, Renaissance, Roman and Serbian architectural types. The church has a 45 meter high tower.
- The Monastery of Vojlovica – This monastery dates back to the 15th century. Monks fleeing from Turkish invaders set up this monastery for their refuge. This Monastery of Vojlovica is six kilometers southwards from Pancevo town on the road to Starcevo.