Africa is the second largest and the second most populous continent in the world. There are 54 countries in the continent.
|Central African Republic||Bangui|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Kinshasa|
|Republic of the Congo||Brazzaville|
|Equatorial Guinea||Malabo (de jure)|
|Oyala (seat of government)|
|Sao Tome and Principe||São Tomé|
|South Africa||Pretoria (administrative)|
|Cape Town (legislative)|
|Lobamba (legislative, royal)|
Africa is home to some of the oldest and most colorful civilizations known to mankind. Here are some interesting facts about the continent –
- Africa is home to a population of approximately 1.2 billion as of 2016.
- Nigeria (population – 183.5 million), Ethiopia (population – 98.9 million) and Egypt (population – 84.7 million) are the most populous countries while Comoros (population – 770,058), Sao Tome and Principe (population – 202,781), Seychelles (population – 93,306) are the least populous countries.
- Some estimates that there are over two thousand different languages and dialects are spoken on the continent.
- Africa has been home to ancient civilizations. The Egyptian civilization is something we all know about, but human remains from Ethiopia point to human existence on the continent some 2.8 million years ago.
- Straddling the equator, Africa is also the hottest continent on Earth. Algeria (919,595 square miles) and Democratic Republic of Congo (905,568 square miles) are its largest countries. Cairo is Africa’s largest city.
- Africa is rich in flora and fauna and encompasses various landscapes. Sahara, the world’s largest sand desert covers 3.5 million square miles of the continent. Mt. Kilimanjaro (16,100 feet) is the highest peak of the continent.
- Africa is a continent rich in minerals and natural resources. While many countries are struggling to shake off the legacy of underdevelopment, the continent has registered considerable growth over the past few years. Nigeria with a GDP of USD 594.2 billion, South Africa with a GDP of USD 341.2 billion, and Egypt with a GDP of USD 275.7 billion are the largest economies in the continent.