If you are a car lover and happen to tour Canada then never miss the opportunity to visit the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa, Ontario. The Canadian Automotive Museum is a major tourist attraction of Canada and is a prominent feature in the list of museums in the country. The Canadian Automotive Museum is a tribute to vintage and popular cars. You will find most cars made in Canada in the museum.
The Canadian Automotive Museum was started by a group of businessmen from Oshawa in 1961. The effort of establishing the museum was largely aimed at preserving the automotive history of Canada. The museum was also aimed at delivering a historical account of automobiles in Canada in an interactive, educative, and entertaining form. The Canadian Automotive Museum Inc also acts as a charitable corporation which has been operational since 1963.
The Canadian Automotive Museum is spread across the 25,000 sq. ft. building located in the Downtown Oshawa area. This was originally a car dealership shop of the 1920’s. You will still find the legacy of the architectural splendor of the building is well preserved. The elevator which was used to move cars from different floors still exists.
When on a visit to the museum you will understand the motto of the place. The chief reasons for the establishment of the museum are:
- To bring forward the Canadian story of the automotive industry. To narrate the story of its origin, development and future plans
- To offer conducive conditions for valuable automobile exhibits
- To narrate the role of the automotive industry in the economic and social development of Canada
- To display the gradual development of the engineering skills in the automotive industry of Canada
The automotive industry in Canada developed and diversified rapidly. The collections in the Canadian Automotive Museum display the growth intricately. You can also see the various models of motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, pianos, and washing machines, along with the massive collection of cars.
While on a visit to the Automotive Museum you can view various cars on display. Some of them are:
- 1898 Fischer Electric
- 1902 Orient
- 1903 Redpath Messenger
- 1905 McLaughlin Carriage
- 1914 McLaughlin Truck
- 1914 Galt Gas-Electric
- 1915 Ford T Touring
- 1915 Chevrolet 490 Touring
- 1918 Chevrolet 490 Snowmobile
- 1918 Packard Twin Six 3-25
- 1926 Willys Whippet Coupe
- 1926 Ahrens Fox Pumper (fire truck)
- 1926 Bentley 3 litre Speed Model
- 1926 Chevrolet Depot Hack
- 1926 Morris Oxford Roadster
- 1928 Durant Sedan
- 1931 Francis Barnett
- 1931 Gardner Phaeton
- 1932 Francis Barnett
- 1932 Frontenac 6-85 Roadster
- 1962 Lotus Formula Junior
- 1963 Panther with Garrard Side Car
- 1966 Buick Wildcat
- 1966 Corvair
- 1969 Daimler Limousine
- 1971 Manic
- 1974 Podomotor
- 1981 Plymouth K Car #37 Pilot Car
Come and celebrate the legacy of automobiles in Canada at the Canadian Automotive Museum!
Photo by Robert T BellPublished On: Thursday, November 28th, 2013