Train accidents can be catastrophic, leading to loss of life, injury, and damage to infrastructure. Here are some of the major train accidents in the world:
- Lac-Mégantic train disaster, Canada (2013) – A train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded in the town of Lac-Mégantic, Quebec, killing 47 people and destroying much of the town’s center.
- Eschede train disaster, Germany (1998) – An ICE high-speed train derailed and crashed into a bridge near the town of Eschede, killing 101 people and injuring 88 others.
- Santiago de Compostela derailment, Spain (2013) – A high-speed train derailed near the city of Santiago de Compostela, killing 80 people and injuring 140 others.
- Gare de Lyon train accident, France (1988) – A commuter train crashed into a stationary train at the Gare de Lyon station in Paris, killing 56 people and injuring 60 others.
- Amagasaki rail crash, Japan (2005) – A commuter train derailed and crashed into a residential building near the city of Amagasaki, killing 107 people and injuring 562 others.
- Ufton Nervet rail crash, UK (2004) – A train collided with a car on a level crossing in the village of Ufton Nervet, killing 7 people and injuring 150 others.
- Santiago de Cuba derailment, Cuba (2017) – A train derailed in the city of Santiago de Cuba, killing 7 people and injuring 33 others.
- San Bernardino train disaster, USA (1989) – A collision between a freight train and a passenger train in San Bernardino, California, killed 8 people and injured 200 others.
- Rennert train crash, Poland (1990) – A collision between two trains near the town of Rennert, Poland, killed 16 people and injured 40 others.
- Cairo train collision, Egypt (2019) – Two trains collided near Cairo, killing at least 25 people and injuring dozens more.
Major Train Accidents in the World 2016
|Accident||Location||Casualty (Estimated data)||Year|
|Tsunami Rail Disaster||Peraliya, Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka||1700||26-Dec-2004|
|Saint Michel de Maurienne Rail Accident||Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne, France||800||12-Dec-1917|
|Ciurea Train Disaster||Ciurea, Romania||800||13-Jan-1917|
|Bihar Rail Disaster||Saharsa, India||700||6-Jun-1981|
|Guadalajara Rail Disaster||Guadalajara, Mexico||600||22-Jan-1915|
|Ufa Rail Disaster||Ufa, Russia||575||4-Jun-1989|
|Balvano train disaster||Balvano, Italy||550||3-Mar-1944|
|Torre del Bierzo rail disaster||Torre del Bierzo, Spain||500||3-Jan-1944|
|Awash rail disaster||Awash, Ethiopia||420||7-Jun-1905|
|Al Ayyat train disaster||Al Ayat, Giza, Egypt||380||20-Feb-2002|