About city :
The city of Guangzhou is more familiarly known as Canton. Guangzhou, an affluent metropolis is the capital city of Guangdong Province. Located on the south coastline of China, the city serves as the economic, political, educational, scientific, and cultural hub of the Guangdong area. The city covers an area of 7,434 sq km and has an approximate population of 14 million. Panyu, a district of Guangzhou, was formerly a county-level city; in fact, the name “Panyu” dates back to the invasion of Guangdong by Qin Shi Huang. The city of Guangzhou was formerly known by this name.
Positioned in the south-central part of the Guangdong province, the city lies between the special administrative areas of Hong Kong and Macau. Located on the Pearl River or the Zhujiang, it occupies a part of the Pearl River delta. The river is navigable up to the South China Sea so, the city has also developed as an important port. The Baiyun Mountains are located next to the city center and are known as the lungs of the city. The elevation of the city gradually rises from the southwest to the northeast. The average elevation of the city is 21 meters while the highest mountain in Guangzhou is the Tiantang peak which rises to 1,210 meters. Some of the important water bodies in addition to the Pearl River are Nanhai, Liuhua Lake, Li Lake, and Dongshan Lake.
The city enjoys a humid subtropical type of climate and is influenced by the East Asian monsoon. Summers are hot and wet while winters are mild and comparatively dry. The monsoon season lasts from April to September. Besides, snowfall is extremely rare in this city.
How to reach (transport) :
You can reach Guangzhou in the following ways :
- The city is served by the Guangzhou Baiyun International airport. There are a vast number of domestic flights. The city is also connected to international destinations in Asia, Australia, Europe, and North America. The airport is located about 28 km to the north of the city center.
- The city is connected to Hong Kong by railways and it takes about two hours to travel between these two cities. The city has several railway stations and is connected to a wide number of domestic destinations.
- Regular bus service also connects the city with Hong Kong as well as other domestic destinations.
- Frequent ferry and hovercraft services connect Guangzhou with Hong Kong, Macau, and Haikou. Boats also ply to other cities like Qingdao, Xiamen, and Shanghai.
When to visit :
The best time to visit Guangzhou is October and November when the weather is at its best. April and May are also popular months for visiting the city. However, it is best to avoid the peak summer months when it is quite hot or the monsoon period which is very wet. The typhoon season lasts from June to September and is best avoided because of the inclement weather.
Culture (fairs and festivals) and traditions :
Guangzhou is a fast-growing metropolis, but the flavor of the city is still preserved through its various festivals. Some of the important events celebrated in the city are as follows :
- The Guangzhou international food festival is celebrated in September. The eight major provincial cuisines of China are displayed at the fair. In addition, there are 600 kinds of delicacies from other countries.
- The Spring Festival and flower fair are major events in the city. It takes place on New Year’s Eve. The streets are decorated with flowers and miniature landscapes and people buy small trees with tangerines hanging on them to signify good luck.
- The Lotus Flower festival is celebrated in August and attracts a large number of people. Thousands of lotus flowers begin to bloom in the garden.
- The Polo Birth Festival Temple Fair is a 1000-year-old festival that is celebrated in March. People buy a polo which is a chicken made of paper. There is a saying that one out of every 100,000 polos will crow like a real chick and the owner will be very lucky.
- The Chinese New Year is celebrated with parades and fireworks, Dragon and Lion dances, and the Yangge dance.
- The Dragon boat day is celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month. A huge Dragon boat tournament is held on the Pearl River with much cheering.
- The tomb sweeping holiday is the national Chinese Memorial Day. Tombs are swept and cleaned and kites are flown.
Points of interest (places to visit) :
Some of the most important sights of Guangzhou are :
- The Temple of the Chen family is now the Museum of Guangdong Folk arts and crafts. It is one of the best decorated ancient architecture existing in the city.
- The Sun Yat Sen memorial and park is an important meeting place and is a major venue for meetings and performances in the city.
- The Temple of the Six Banyan Trees has a rich collection of cultural relics. It has been rebuilt and renamed several times.
- Shamian Island has a strong colonial flavor. It is a peaceful and secluded area with a number of hotels.
In addition, there are a number of temples, museums, the Canton tower, and many other landmarks in the city.
The city of Guangzhou offers a wide selection of accommodations to travelers for all budgets. The Nan Guo is a five-star hotel while there are several four-star hotels like Victoria, Holiday Inn, Gardford, Garden, White Swan, etc. There are many 3-star hotels like Lilac international, Xi Di Wan, Tian Yu, Ramada Pearl, Paco, Ying Hao, and many more.