Also known as Mount Austin, Victoria Peak is the highest mountain in Hong Kong Island and the region’s major tourist attraction that receives about seven million visitors annually. Visitors cannot access the summit of Victoria Peak as it is closed to the public. The highest point of Victoria Peak is used for radio transmitters and for private residences for the super wealthy. The top of Victoria Peak has the most expensive real estate in the world. The highest areas open to the public include Victoria Peak Garden which offers views of the sea, nearby islands, and the harbor. The Peak Tram is a funicular railway that opened in 1888, which transports visitors up the steep mountain. The Peak Tram Historical Gallery houses more than 200 memorabilia from 19th and 21st century Hong Kong. The viewing areas are also accessible via a hike up from Victoria Gap. The Peak Tower is located at an altitude of 396 meters. The tower houses shopping centers and restaurants like the Peak Lookout Restaurant. The Sky Terrace 428 is a 360 degree viewing platform that offers scenic views of the city. The Sky Gallery on this Terrace exhibits 17 historical photos. The Sky Terrace 428 West Deck offers a party venue for both business as well as personal parties. It has been noticed lately that the dining facilities at the peak have improved a lot. The signature restaurants serve just the best. Four signature restaurants at the peak are Pearl on the Peak, Tien Yi Chinese Restaurant, Kyo Hachi Japanese Restaurant and Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Restaurant and Market. Other F and B outlets are Burger King, Pacific Coffee, Jungle Juice and Hong Kong Day. The Peak is inhabited by numerous species of birds, especially the Black Kite, and several species of butterflies.
Victoria Peak Location Map
Facts about Victoria Peak
- Victoria Peak has an altitude of 552 meters (1,811 feet).
- Sir John Alexander Macdonald, the Chief Executive of Hong Kong, chose to build his villa on Victoria Peak in 1868.
- In 1904, it became the sole right of the most wealthy people and celebrities of Hong Kong to live on Victoria Peak. This right was abolished in 1947.
Where is Victoria Peak ?
Victoria Peak is located on the western half of Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong Island is situated just off the coast of mainland Hong Kong, which is a Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China. It takes approximately 40 minutes via car to reach the peak from Hong Kong International Airport.[/stab]
Best time to visit Victoria Peak
To avoid the peak tourist times in Hong Kong, don’t visit during Chinese New Year or the Golden Weeks in China, the first weeks of May and October. For the best weather, plan a visit during September through December.
- The Peak Tram and Peak Tram Historical Gallery operate from 7:00 am to 12:00 midnight throughout the year.
- The Peak Tower, Sky Terrace 428 and the Sky Gallery are open from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm on Mondays through Fridays. However on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, the visiting hours are from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Madam Tussaud’s Hong Kong opens from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm throughout the year.
Nearby attractions: Aberdeen Harbour and Nan Lian Garden.