2) The capital city of Maryland is Annapolis and the biggest city is Baltimore.
4) The tallest point in the state is the Backbone Mountain (elevation is 3,360 feet). The Backbone Mountain is also known as the Hoye Crest. The lowest point in the state is the Atlantic Ocean.
5) Maryland shares its boundaries with Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Chesapeake Bay.
6) The state of MD was admitted to the Union on April 28, 1788 and became the 7th state of the country.
7) The official motto is "Manly deeds, womanly words".
8) The official bird is the Baltimore Oriole.
9) The official tree is the White Oak.
10) The official flower is the Black-eyed Susan.
11) The official fish is the Rockfish.
12) The official song is "Maryland! My Maryland".
13) The state official mammal is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever and the official cat is the Calico Cat.
14) Annapolis is nicknamed as the Sailing Capital of the World.
15) Famous residents of the state include Babe Ruth, Frederick Douglass, Frank Zappa, and Billie Holiday.
16) The official flag of the state was adopted in 1904.
17) The official reptile is the Diamondback Terrapin and the official crustacean is the Maryland Blue Crab.
18) The official butterfly is the Baltimore Checkerspot.
19) Fishing and shipping are the two major industries of the state.
20) There are 47 state parks in Maryland. Fort Frederick State Park is one of the most famous state parks.