Dusseldorf is a famous German metropolis and a huge center of international trade, business, art and culture. It is the capital of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It covers an area of 207 sq km and with an approximate population of 600,000, is the seventh most populous city in the country.
The city of Düsseldorf is located on the lower Rhine basin on the delta of the River Dussel. It lies to the southwest of the Ruhr urban area and is the center of the Rhine Ruhr metropolitan region. The general relief of the land consists of flat, low lying alluvium.
The city enjoys a temperate climate. Summers are mild and warm while winters are cool and snowfall is rare.
How to reach (transport) :
Düsseldorf has a very well developed transport system which has actually helped the city to grow as a commercial hub. The Düsseldorf International Airport is the third largest in the country after Frankfurt and Munich and it serves 65,000 people every day. Regular flights ply to about 175 destinations all over the world. The airport is conveniently located about 8 kms from the city center and 12 kilometers from the central railway station. The Koln Bonn Airport and the Airport Weeze also cater to domestic destinations.
The main railway station is located in the southeastern part of the city. Trains ply to various destinations in Germany (German: Deutschlandkarte) and in other countries of Europe. You can also travel to Düsseldorf by car. The city is connected through motorways A 3, A 44, A 46, A 52, A 57, A 59, and A 524.
When to visit :
A tour to Düsseldorf is enjoyable and unforgettable all through the year. However, those planning to visit in the months of May and September will find the climate most appropriate, with sufficient warmth and sunlight. Even winters in Dusseldorf are fairly mild. You will notice sporadic snow and frost in the months of December, January and February.
Culture (fairs and festivals) and traditions :
Düsseldorf is a huge trading center. It is also known for its university and as a center of art. A number of events are celebrated in the city. Some of these are as follows :
- The annual carnival is the biggest event in Düsseldorf and it is celebrated with parades in the street, music, dancing and exquisite food. A number of events are held all throughout November to March as a part of t he carnival.
- The Metro Group Marathon is being held on 28th April at the city center for a decade now.
- The Hofgarten concerts are held at different times of the year since 1964. Different groups of musicians present a variety of music in this open air auditorium and the audience often joins in.
- The Stadtsparkasse Cartwheeling Tournament takes place on 7th July at Untere Rheinwerft where competitions are held.
- The Biggest Funfair on Rhine takes place between 11th and 20th July. A huge parade is held on the 13th when 3,000 shooters in uniform, teams of horses and carriages and marching bands wind their way through the streets of the city. There are countless rides, beer and food stalls.
- The Düsseldorf Christmas market is one of the most beautiful in Germany. It is held at seven locations including the city center. Themed markets welcome the visitors and the markets are transformed for two days with decorated huts and a vast variety of enticing merchandise.
Some of the famous attractions of Düsseldorf are :
- The Old Town is a famous area. Though it was almost completely destroyed in the World War II, it was rebuilt on the foundation of the old town and looks like a historic town today. Its typical alleys and squares with the famous Rhine promenade dotted with museums, churches and historic building makes it an important landmark of the city. Do not miss the beautiful gas lamps that light up the streets.
- The Konigsallee is rightly described as one of the most beautiful boulevards of the entire world. The long city moat divides it into two which are then joined by numerous bridges. This street is lined by more than 200 trees and has a spectacular collection of shops and boutiques.
- The Benrath Palace and Park was completed in 1770. The architecture of the palace is exceptional and you are bound to enjoy the vast park that surrounds it.
- The Media harbor is the modern side of the city with trendy restaurants and modern architecture.
- Apart from these, Düsseldorf contains a vast number of other monuments and landmarks like Hofgarten, EKO House, Rhine Tower, City hall, city monument, St. Lambertus basilica and many others.
Both leisure travelers as well as business travelers can enjoy their own set of pleasures at Düsseldorf accommodations. If you are looking for luxury accommodation, check out the hotels like Radisson Blu, Marriott Courtyard, Hilton, Relaxa, Best Western and many more. The hotels Terminus, Excelsior and Cascade are good examples of mid range accommodation or you can opt for budget accommodation at City hostel or Backpackers – Düsseldorf.
|Total Area||217 km2 (84 sq mi)|
|Lat Long Coordinates||51.2333° N, 6.7833° E|
|Time Zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialing Code||+49 211|
|Universities||Heinrich Heine University, Robert Schumann Hochschule|
Route Planner Germany
Other City Maps
|More City Maps|
|Flight Schedule from Dusseldorf to other cities|
|Climate Data for Düsseldorf (1990-2013)|
|Average high °C (°F)||5.5 (41.9)||6.9 (44.4)||10.9 (51.6)||15.2 (59.4)||19.4 (66.9)||22.1 (71.8)||24.3 (75.7)||24.0 (75.2)||19.8 (67.6)||15.0 (59)||9.5 (49.1)||5.7 (42.3)||14.9 (58.8)|
|Average low °C (°F)||1.2 (34.2)||1.3 (34.3)||3.3 (37.9)||5.5 (41.9)||9.3 (48.7)||12.0 (53.6)||14.4 (57.9)||14.1 (57.4)||11.2 (52.2)||8.1 (46.6)||4.6 (40.3)||1.7 (35.1)||7.3 (45.1)|
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||61.1 (2.406)||55.7 (2.193)||54.6 (2.15)||50.8 (2)||57.6 (2.268)||71.5 (2.815)||77.0 (3.031)||74.5 (2.933)||100.5 (3.957)||65.3 (2.571)||66.1 (2.602)||71.1 (2.799)||805.8 (31.725)|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||55.7||76.2||112.2||165||198.8||194||207.6||190.7||140.1||110.4||59||45.2||1554.9|