The system of Greek education has shown remarkable advancement ever since 1990, when the Ministry of Education in Greece took up certain objectives to be fulfilled.
The Greek Educational System comprises of three consecutive levels:
- Primary – This educational level in Greece is again sub-divided into Pre-school Education and Compulsory Primary Education. The Pre-school Education is offered by kindergarten classes and the Compulsory Primary Education is given by Primary schools.
- Secondary – The first stage is the Compulsory Lower Level Secondary Education provided in Gymnasiums and the second stage is the Post-compulsory or Upper Secondary Education which is proffered by the Technical Vocational Educational Institutes and Unified Lyceums.
- Tertiary – In this level too there are two cycles. University education offered by Universities and non-university education is bestowed by Higher Technological Educational Institutes and also the Higher Education Institutes. Postgraduate courses are also encouraged in this level.
There are certain rules of Education in Greece which are strictly followed :
- Education is a compulsion for all children between 6-15 years. This curriculum includes Primary (Dimotiko in Greek) and Lower Secondary (Gymnasio in Greek) Education.
- The regular school life of the students should start from 2.5 years of age termed as the pre-school education, offered in institutions both private and public which are called “Vrefonipiakoi Paidikoi Stathmi” or creches.
- In some institutions, Nipiaka Tmimata or nursery classes are combined with the Nipiagogeia or kindergartens at one single stretch.
- Along with the kindergartens, the primary schools are also in the process, with a disciplined timetable and an updated Curriculum.
UNESCO brought the Greece Education to the international standard and thus classified the educational systems and formulated seven levels of education in Greece which were later termed as the International Standard Classification of Education in 1997.
Greece Universities provide excellent opportunity for the students who wish to continue with their higher and further education. Greece, being a very progressive country has always given priority to education and because of this the education system of the country is highly developed and advanced.
The Tertiary Education in Greece, which comes after the Primary and Secondary Education, is divided into two parts; the Greece University Education and the Greece Higher Technological Education. The universities of Greece are the foundations where University Educations are provided.
The University Education in Greece provides high level of theoretical and practical training in order to develop and secure the future of scientific development of the country. Universities, Polytechnics, Hellenic Open University and all belong under the University Education System of the country.
Greece Universities Courses
The Faculties of Greece Universities are divided into several departments and units specializing in different filed of studies. The courses at the universities lasts for 4 or 5 years divided into 2 semesters. The certificates provided by these universities belong to different field such as Humanities, Sciences, Law and Social Sciences, Technological Sciences Health Sciences and Economic and Management Sciences.
There are 21 universities in Greece located all over the mainland as well as the Greek islands. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Democritus University, University of Patras, National Technical University of Athens, University of the Aegean and University of Macedonia are some of the important universities in Greece.
After a successful completion of University Education students are awarded with Bachelor, Masters and Doctorate Degrees.
Some of the Greece Universities are:
At Greece Colleges students are provided with advanced and good quality higher education. Since the establishment of the country, Greece has always given great importance to education. The desire of education has led the country to path of continuous development of the society and betterment of life of the natives.
Higher Education at Greece Colleges
The students who complete the secondary education successfully become eligible for getting admission at the various colleges in Greece to continue with their higher studies. The higher education at the colleges become more specific and research oriented. Students can specialize in subjects of their own choice. After the successful completion students are awarded with the Bachelor Degrees, which help them to continue with their studies at the universities.
Types of Greece Colleges
The colleges in Greece can be classified into the following categories:
- Under Graduate Greece Colleges
- Graduate Greece Colleges
- Career Greece Colleges
Popular Greece Colleges Some of the popular colleges in Greece are:
- Aegean College
- Alpine Center
- American College of Greece
- Polycenter College
- College De La Salle
Greece Schools are educational institute of the country that offers excellent teaching, recreational and sporting facilities. Greece Schools are internationally renowned institutes that offers quality education to the domestic as well as foreign students.
The teaching staff of Schools of Greece are efficient and are very helpful. Extensive foreign language programs are also available in the Greece Schools. Campus of Schools in Greec include well equipped classrooms, science labs, well-stocked library, music room, computer room, art room, gymnasium and auditorium. The extracurricular activities of Schools in Greece include forensics, yearbook, drama, computer, music, Student Council and so on. The elementary curriculum of the Schools at Greece includes library classes, computer classes, physical education, music and Modern Greek.
The secondary curriculum is college preparatory, utilizing texts and materials from the US and Europe. English, Modern Greek and French are the foreign languages taught in some of the schools. Sports activities include soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball and so on.
The students of Schools in Greece are engaged in a wide array of cultural and social activities. The Schools of Greece provide excellent ground for growth and development of the students. Some of the famous Greece Schools are :
- American Community Schools of Athens
- St Lawrence College
- Campion School, Athens
- Anatolia College
- International School of Athens
- Pinewood – International School of Thessaloniki
- International School of Larissa