Map of Tennessee Universities and Colleges
The higher education in Tennessee is under the supervision of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. The commission provides guidance to two public university systems - The University of Tennessee system and the Tennessee Board of Regents.
The state also has a number of private colleges and universities.
Some of the major universities are:
Strayer University: Established in 1892, Strayer University is a private, for-profit educational institution. It was earlier known as Strayer College of Baltimore. The university has a 110-year tradition of educational excellence, and is a leading provider of online education. It offers a wide range of academic programs specializing in information technology and business. The president of the university is Sondra Stallard.
Remington College: Established in 1985, Remington College is a group of privately owned non-profit post-secondary educational institutions. It has twenty campuses in several US states. The College offers a variety of courses like business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology. It also offers various online degree programs in general Business, human resources, management, marketing, and criminal justice.
Tennessee Technical University: Established in 1909 as The University of Dixie and growing into Tennessee Technical University in 1912, this public college is a very strong base for the technical education of the state. The university has been awarded Tennessee Quality Award in education, and from certificates and Associates courses, it has grown to full fledged Doctorates. Through its courses in Education, Engineering and Environmental Sciences, the University has earned a reputation in graduating some talented students.
Belmont University: Established in 1890 as the Belmont College, this college grew onto becoming Belmont College in 1991. It is a student centered Christian university, which is ranked number 7 in the south category of Regional Universities. With some of the best facilities and courses in Liberal Arts and Professional Education, Belmont is accredited from the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Vanderbilt University: Established in 1873, the University was founded by Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt. It is a self governing university who has elected all its members through its own Board of Trust. Achieving great heights in the field of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the university has provided many programs to the students. In 1949 the university was elected as a member of the Association of American Universities and in 1963 , for the first time, ranked in the top 20 private institutions in US.
The Main Center of Education in Tennessee:
The University of Tennessee: Established in 1794, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville is among the nation's top public research universities. The university has nine undergraduate colleges and eleven graduate colleges. Around 27,107 students enroll in various courses every year, supported by a staff of 1,400 teachers. Jimmy G. Cheek is the chancellor of the University.
The various Schools and Colleges of University of Tennessee :
- College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
- College of Architecture and Design
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Communication and Information
- College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
- College of Engineering
- The Graduate School
- College of law
- College of Nursing
- College of Social work
- College of Space Institute
- College of Veterinary medicine
Some of the popular departments of the University are:
Added features of the University of Tennessee:
1.The meritorious students are provided with a very updated and professional placement cell, which will take care of their career or jobs, and provide them good opportunities in progressive sectors.
2.The University also offers a lot of fees compensation for students who require financial aid. Through various criteria, and their own capabilities many relaxations have been announced.
3.The University has their own retirement plan for the employees. The old and aged staff members of the university comes under various pension and retirement plans which will help them in their old age.
4.The University has many Awards to recognize the hard work and loyalty of the employees and students. These awards are, UT Citation for Extraordinary Customer Service, Send Roses Award, Volunteer Spirit Award, and Team Excellence Award.
5.The University has a recruitment cell, which hires employees within the university itself and even students can also apply for such jobs, after fulfilling all the required eligibility criteria.
6.The University has a very grand and organized library system for staff and students, which will make their learning easy and convenient. Here are some library features:
- Course Reserves
- Borrow and Renew System
- Databases and Indexes
- Special Services for Disabled Students
- Interlibrary Loan
- Map Services
- Multimedia Studio
- Subject Guides
- Computer Labs
- Digital Media Service
- Loaner Laptops
Libraries are also available for different departments. Take a look:
- Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine Library ( Pendergrass)
- Law Library (Joel A. Katz)
- Main Library ( John C. Hodges)
- Medical Library (Preston)
- Music Library (George F. Devine)
- Social Work Library (In Nashville)
- Space Institute Library Resources
- Special Collections
University of Tennessee Rankings :
The US News & World Report ranked the University 47th among Public Universities in America and 101st among all the US Universities, and also several other ranks have been bestowed on the university.
- According to Modern Physician, the Physician Executive MBA Program of the University has been ranked 1st.
- According to Financial Times, the University's MBA Programs have been ranked 1st in alumni value.
- According to the journal Design Intelligence, the College of Architecture and Design have been ranked 2nd in all the southern universities
- According to the Supply Chain Management Review, the Supply Chain Management Programs of the University have been ranked 2nd.
- According to US News and World Report, the University's Graduate Program in Printmaking has been ranked 3rd.
- According to Princeton Reviews, the University has 5th best Athletic facilities in US
Latest News in the University of Tennessee:
- The Research Department of the University has revealed new information about Aquatic Bacteria. According to the research the bacterias may not have moved to land from sea as early as it is believed and it is also stated that they might be useful in Bioenergy Research.
- The University staff has given tips to celebrate an Eco friendly holiday, with no chemicals and only biodiversity healthy materials.
- In the University's Graduate Architecture Program, a new chair, George Dodds has been appointed. Dodds is a professor of Architecture.
- The University faculty and academicians provide tips and suggestions for the families, especially couples, to handle holiday chaos and avoid conflicts.
- University has launched an online training course for people to demonstrate how child abuse can be reported to government authorities and public.
Other important features and additions in University:
- The University of Tennessee has one of the best Athletics department in US, along with facilities and sports persons.
- Many other sports are also played on intercollegiate level, such as soccer, wrestling, hockey., golf.
- The orange and white colors have been chosen to represent the University's logo.
- The Pride of the Southland' band is university's marching band, which is very popular among US colleges. At many games and programs, the parade opens the show.
- Down the Field is the official fight song, which is played or sang during all the major competitions of the University.
- After changing a lot of mascots in many years, the current mascot for the University is Smokey IX, the hound.
- The University has been given the nickname of 'The Volunteer State' or 'The Lady Volunteers' on intercollegiate level competitions and programs, by magazine like the Journal.
- In 1960s an iconic rock , unearthed from the University, has been used continuously by students to deliver messages and is now a tool of open forum for students.
|List of Universities and Colleges in Tennessee|
|Anthem Career College||5865 Shelby Oaks Dr Memphis TN 38134 USA|
|Aquinas College||4210 Harding Pike, Nashville, TN, United States|
|Argosy University Nashville||100 Centerview Drive #225, Nashville, TN, United States|
|Austin Peay State University||601 College St Clarksville TN 37044 USA|
|Bethel University||325 Cherry Avenue, McKenzie, TN, United States|
|Carson-Newman College||1646 Russell Ave Jefferson City TN 37760 USA|
|Pellissippi State Community College||10915 Hardin Valley Rd Knoxville TN 37932 USA|
|Christian Brothers University||650 E Parkway S Memphis TN 38104 USA|
|Cleveland State Community College||2580 Ingleside Ave #100 Athens TN 37303 USA|
|TSBDC at Cleveland State Community College||NW Technology, 3535 Adkisson Dr, Cleveland, TN, United States|
|Cumberland University||1 Cumberland Drive, Lebanon, TN, United States|
|Daymar Institute||2691 Trenton Road, Clarksville, TN, United States|
|Draughons Jr College||Johnson City, TN, United States|
|DeVry University||6401 Poplar Ave #600 Memphis TN 38119 USA|
|DeVry University||3343 Perimeter Hill Dr #200 Nashville TN 37211 USA|
|Dyersburg State Community College||1510 Lake Rd Dyersburg TN 38024 USA|
|East Tennessee State University||807 University Pkwy Johnson City TN 37614 USA|
|Fisk University||1000 17th Ave N Nashville TN 37208 USA|
|Welch College||3606 W End Ave Nashville TN 37205 USA|
|Freed-Hardeman University||158 E Main St Henderson TN 38340 USA|
|Hiwassee College||225 Hiwassee College Drive, Madisonville, TN, United States|
|International Academy Of Design & Technology||1 Bridgestone Prairie Nashville TN 37214 USA|
|ITT Technical Institute - Chattanooga Campus||5600 Brainerd Road Ste G-1 Chattanooga, TN 37411, United States|
|ITT Technical Institute||7260 Goodlett Farms Pkwy Cordova TN 38016 USA|
|ITT Technical Institute - Nashville Campus||2845 Elm Hill Pike Nashville TN 37214 USA|
|Jackson State Community College||2046 North Pkwy Jackson TN 38301 USA|
|List of Major Universities in US|
Last Updated on: August 12th, 2017