Popular North Carolina travel destinations
Given below are some popular tourist destinations in the state of NC:
1) Appalachian National Scenic Trail
2) Great Smoky Mountains National Park – The most traveled National Park in the whole nation.
3) Cape Hatteras National Seashore
4) Blue Ridge Parkway – One of the most traveled segments of the National Park System. It is a picturesque 469 mile itinerary.
5) Outer Banks – Famous for its legendary lighthouses and wild horses
6) Cape Lookout National Seashore
7) Pinehurst – Known for its scenic golf courses.
8) The Biltmore Estate – Biltmore House of George Vanderbilt with 250 rooms, rambling backyards, and vineyard. It is situated in Asheville.
9) Andy Griffith – Famous for amusement, dining, lodging, and shopping venues. It is situated in Mount Airy.
10) The Lost Colony – The enigma of this place still hangs around in Roanoke Island on outside banks of North Carolina.
11) Pisgah National Forest – It is a must watch for tourists to the western North Carolina region.
12) The NC Appalachian Mountains and Asheville – The most beautiful region in the state. The major city is Asheville. The tallest summit in the Appalachian Range, Mount Mitchell, is also situated in the westernmost part of the state.
North Carolina has a lot to offer to a tourist seeking adventure. Relaxing beaches, seaside recreation areas, historic sites, majestic mountains, miles of shopping, variety of sensational restaurants and the amazing Aquarium at Fort Fisher attract many visitors from across the world to the state.
North Carolina has 188 museums and historical sites. Some of the major attractions of the state are given next.
Dismal Swamp State Park: Created in 1974 as a state natural area, the Dismal Swamp State Park in North Carolina opened to the public in 2008. The park offers recreation all through the year, with excellent opportunities for canoeing and kayaking. There is eighteen miles of hiking and mountain biking trails in the park. George Washington called the Dismal Swamp “a glorious paradise.”
Wrightsville Beach: Lying east of Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach is one of the favorite tourist destination in North Carolina. It offers crystal-clear waters, surfing, kiteboarding lessons and beachcombing. the beach is a must-visit place for scuba enthusiasts. There are several restaurants, stores and many marinas on Wrightsville Beach, and Harbor Island.
|State Parks||Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Carolina Beach State Park, Dismal Swamp State Park, Gorges State Park, Hanging Rock State Park, Mayo River State Park, South Mountains State Park|
|Beaches||Emerald Isle, Wrightsville Beach, Holden Beach, Kure Beach, Carolina Beach, Fort Fisher|
|Museums||North Carolina Museum of Art, Ackland Art Museum, Aurora Fossil Museum, Calvin Jones Historical House, Carthage Museum, Hickory Aviation Museum, Marbles Kids Museum|
|Historical landmarks||Wright Brothers National Memorial, Guilford Courthouse, Moore’s Creek Bridge, Biltmore Estate, Christ Episcopal Church, Cupola House, Hayes Plantation, Old Salem Historic District|
|Other Places||Blue Ridge Parkway, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, Fort Branch, Grimes Mill, Ingram Planetarium|
Christ Episcopal Church: Located on Edenton Street, Christ Episcopal Church is an Episcopal church in Raleigh, North Carolina. It has a distinctive bronze weather vane at the peak of its steeple which makes it a one of the peculiar pieces of art. The Church was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.
Hickory Aviation Museum: An aerospace museum at the Hickory Regional Airport in Hickory, North Carolina, the Hickory Aviation Museum is operated by the Sabre Society of North Carolina that has been dedicated to the preservation of aviation history for over sixteen years. The society is however best known for organizing some of the best airshows in the Eastern United States. Static aircraft displays are located on the former terminal ramp of the museum.
Ashville: A city in the Buncombe County, North Carolina, United States, Ashville is the largest city in Western North Carolina. The city has many places of interest like Biltmore Estate, Blue Ridge Parkway, Grove Park Inn, Bent Creek, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Sliding Rock, and Smith-McDowell House. The Roman Catholic Basilica of St. Lawrence, the Episcopal Cathedral of All Souls and St. Luke’s Church, and the Conservative Jewish Beth Israel Synagogue are some of world-famous religious places in North Carolina.