Location of Coimbra
Coimbra is located in central Portugal between Lisbon and Porto. Lisbon is located 195km south of Coimbra and Porto is located 120km north of Coimbra.
Tourist Attractions in Coimbra
Some of the major tourist attractions are:
- The university is the major tourist attraction in Coimbra. It is one of the first universities in the whole world. Initially the university was situated in Lisbon and in 1290 was finally shifted to Coimbra and remained there since then.
- The Church of Sao Tiago is another major tourist attraction in Coimbra. The 12th century church is located in downtown at the Comercio Square.
- The Comercio Square is the centre of the city. Numerous shops and restaurants are located here.
- The Santa Cruz Monastery, located near the square is also a popular tourist destination. The monastery was found in 11331. The Manga Gardens is situated behind the church.
- The two cathedrals known as Old Cathedral and the New Cathedral are other important places visited by tourists.
- Machado de Castro National Museum is worth visiting. It features the gorgeous palace of the former bishop.