Physical Location of Pakistan
Pakistan is situated at the intersection of 23.30 Degrees and 36.45 Degrees North latitude and 61 Degrees and 75.30 Degrees East longitude in the northern hemisphere of the globe. The country borders Afghanistan in the northwest Iran in the west, India in the east, and China in the northeast.
Provinces of Pakistan
Pakistan is divided into four major provinces - Punjab, with an area of 205,344 Sq.Km, Sindh, with an area of 140 914 Sq.Km, NWFP with an area of 74,521 Sq.Km, and Baluchistan, with an area of 347,190 Sq.Km. The capitals of the country are - Quetta, Peshawar, Lahore and Karachi.
- Population - The population of Pakistan is over 130 million. He growth rate at present is 2.8 % per annum.
- Religion - The Muslims cover 97% of the total population of Pakistan, Hindus 1.5%, Christians 1% and various other minorities cover the rest of the population.
- Languages - The national language of Pakistan is Urdu. The official Pakistan language is English. A few of the chief local languages are - Sindhi, Baluchi, Punjabi and Pushto.
Basic Information About Pakistan
- Time Zone - Pakistan Standard Time is 5 hours added to the GMT.
- Weights and Measures - The official system of weights and measures used in Pakistan is the metric system.
- Business Hours - For Banks - Monday to Thursday and Saturday 9.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m., Friday 9.00 am. to 12 noon. For Government Offices - Monday to Thursday and Saturday 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., Friday 8.30 a.m. to 12 noon. For Private Businesses - Monday to Thursday and Saturday 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m., Friday 9.00 a.m. to 12 noon. Sunday is a holiday in Pakistan each week.
- Dress Code - The dress code in Pakistan follows that of a Muslim country. Shorts are generally unsuitable for men and women. Women are advised to wear long skirts and long sleeved tops.
- Currency - The basic unit of currency in Pakistan is the Rupee. It is divided into 100 paisa.