Antigua is an island located in the Eastern Caribbean, and it is a part of the country of Antigua and Barbuda. Antigua Tourism is one of the main money earning services in the island of Antigua.
Antigua brings around 500 thousand tourists every year and provides the island a strong economic base. Antigua is the most admired and most developed of the Leeward Islands. The foremost attractions of Antigua tourism are its beaches. Along with its large quantity of beaches, there are reefs and wrecks for diving and sailing activities at English Harbor. The island includes an area of 108 square miles. The present population of Antigua is approximately 68,000. The capital of Antigua Island is St. John’s and one of the fine places for Antigua tour. The capital is located in the northwest of the island near to V.C. Bird International Airport. St. John’s has a deep harbor which is able to accommodate large cruise ships. If you are planning an Antigua tour or tour to Antigua and need further information about the place then you can contact with the travel agents or the most expedient Antigua tourist office.
Few names of these Antigua tourist offices are given below:
Antigua and Barbuda Department of Tourism
Queen Elizabeth Highway
St. John’s, Antigua. West Indies
Antigua Hotels & Tourists Association
Island House, New Gates Street
P.O. Box 454,
St. John’s, Antigua, W.I.
On your vacation to Antigua, renting a car can be a perfect way to explore more of this island. The car renting cost is about US$40-50 per day. For that you should carry a valid driver’s license from your country of residence and also a permit to drive in Antigua is essential. The car rental agency can assist you in getting this temporary license. Here is a listing of car rental agencies in Antigua:
Budget Rent A Car
P.O. Box 1600
Capital Car Rentals and Tours
St. George& Popeshead Street
Tel: 268- 462-0863/461-2165
If you are planning a travel trip to Antigua and looking for some useful tips about travel to Antigua then you are in the right track. Some useful tips on Antigua travel are discussed below.
Your travel to Antigua must include some attractive places in Antigua, such as:
- Betty’s Hope – Archaeological Site, Museum,
- Devil’s Bridge – Geological Site, Indian Town
- Falmouth – Town, Falmouth
- Fort George – Archaeological Site, Military Site, Town, Falmouth
- Harmony Hall – Archaeological Site, Museum/Gallery, Store/Mall, Freetown
- Megaliths of Greencastle Hill – Geological Site, Jennings
- Nelson’s Dockyard – Marina/Pier, Museum Village, English Harbour
- Parham – Town, Parham
- Shirley Heights – Viewpoint, English Harbour
- St. John’s – Town, St. John’s and many more.
In your Antigua travel you can enjoy a large numbers of exotic shopping options. Few names of these striking shopping places are mentioned below:
- Cedars Pottery – Crafts, Buckleys
- Colombian Emeralds – Jewelry & Accessories, St. John’s
- Diamonds International – Jewelry & Accessories, St. John’s
- Eureka – Crafts, St. John’s
- Exotic Antigua – Clothing, St. John’s
- Fine Art Framing – Art Gallery, St. John’s
- Galley Boutique – Clothing, English Harbour
- Goldsmitty – Jewelry & Accessories, St. John’s
- Harmony Hall – Art Gallery, Freetown
- Isis – Crafts, St. John’s etc.
There are many hotels in Antigua that range from the luxurious to the comfortable. Following are some of the better-known hotels and lodging accommodations in Antigua:
- Jolly Beach Resort All Inclusive
- Hawksbill Beach All Inclusive by Rex Resorts
- Blue Heron by Rex Resorts
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
- Grand Pineapple Beach Club
- Blue Waters Antigua
- The Suites at Jolly Beach
- Dian Bay Resort and Spa
Travel Insurance Antigua
Travel insurance in Antigua, the Caribbean island paradise is a must-do before you enjoy any of the water-sports, like scuba-diving or snorkeling Antigua. The island is located 16 degrees north of the Equator, bonding the Atlantic Ocean. Travel insurance in Antigua is not a token gesture. The insurance companies have even affected the designing of hotels thus creating new standards of safety in the hotels.
The following are the topics you might want to be covered under travel insurance in Antigua:
- In case of loss luggage, make sure to keep your valuables and some essential toiletries in the hand luggage.
- Trip Cancellation or Curtailment charges can be high in Antigua especially during the peak season. You and your companion must be careful to be covered in case of trip cancellation.
- The travel insurance in Antigua generally takes care of medical expenses and medical rescue medical treatment but not medical evacuation in case you are in a remote area. It is highly recommended that you should not travel to Antigua without cover for medical repatriation. Pre-existing ailments are not covered in such medical insurance policies.
- Most travel insurance policies in Antigua cover bodily damages
- Personal Effects, Money, Passports and Tickets-Most travel insurance policies offers ‘value at the time of cost’ but do not generally substitute ‘new for old’.
- Personal Liability-This is must if you meet an accident and damage another person or somebody’s property. If you are residing in somebody’s villa then be careful to use the alarm when you are out.
- Legal Expenses-This is a must for traveling in Antigua.
The travel insurance in Antigua is mandatory before you make any other travel plans.
Vacation Packages Antigua
In recent times, Antigua has become the most sought after tourist destination. There are various kinds of vacation packages in Antigua which are offered by the reputed hotels situated there. The major attractions in Antigua are:
- Bird Sanctuary
- Codrington House / Highland House
- Darby Sink Cave
- Martello Tower
- Golfing facilities
- Cedar Valley Golf Club
- Jolly Harbour Golf Club
- Northern Antigua
- Antigua – Great Bird Island
- Dickenson Bay
- Mercer’s Creek
- St Peter’s Church
- South-Eastern Antigua
- Betty’s Hope Plantation
- Harmony Hall Art Gallery
- Indian Town National Park
- Nelson’s Dockyard National Park
- Admiral’s Inn
- South-Western Antigua
- Carlisle Bay
- Fig Tree Drive
- Greencastle Hill
The fascinating island of Antigua has 365 beaches which are bound to make the travelers spellbound. And to top it off, the ‘holiday weather’ in Antigua is so mesmerizing that one is sure to fall in love with this place. Hotels and resorts in Antigua are not losing this great opportunity of enhancing their business. Affordable Vacation Packages in Antigua is offered by the resorts for the common people. Some of the good quality resorts offer various types of schemes for the travelers. They also keep the charges customer friendly which is an added advantage for the visitors. Their charges are based on per person and are all inclusive. The tour packages in Antigua vary accordingly. All the meals and snacks, water-games, various kinds of juices, scuba lessons in the pool, freshwater pool, unlimited service of alcoholic beverages, manager’s special cocktail parties are all included in the tour packages. These facilities are special features of the discount vacation packages in Antigua.
Some of the resorts which cater high-quality service to the tourist within an affordable cost are as follows:
- Galley Bay (Deluxe)
- Sandals Antigua Resort
- St. James Club
- Occidental Grand Pineapple Beach
Largest Cities in Antigua