Yerevan is the largest and capital city of Armenia. The city is amongst the oldest inhabited cities across the globe. It also carves out a niche for being the cultural, administrative as well as industrial center of Armenia. The city has experienced a huge transformation in economy with the introduction of new restaurants, shops, retail outlets, and street cafes. As per the records of 2011, the city's approximate population was 1,121,900.
Located on the edge of River Hrazdan, the city has an approximate height of 990 meters. It lies on the north east area of the Ararat plain and is engulfed by mountains on three sides. The River Hrazdan divides the city into two sections via a canyon. The city isn’t a part of any province, rather it is bordered by various provinces like Kotayk, Ararat, Armavir, and Aragatsotn.
How to Reach :
- By air : Zvartnots International Airport is the most important airport here. A new terminal was introduced in the airport in 2006 which aided in easy and quick navigation. Some of the major carriers that operate to and fro the city include Armavia, Iran Air, Lufthansa, Aeroflot, Austrian Airlines, and Czech Airlines.
The city is well connected to the major Middle East and European cities like Beirut, Tehran, Istanbul, Dubai, Kiev, Zurich, Prague, Athens, Vienna, Berlin, London, Amsterdam, and Paris. Once you reach the airport, there are several options like public buses and cabs through which you can reach the city center.
- By train : You can also avail the overnight train from Tbilisi in Georgia to Yerevan.
- By car : If you are arriving by car, then you can come via Iran or Georgia. From the Iran border, it takes about six hours to reach the city. Enroute, you can explore entire Southern Armenia, as well as cities like Sisian, Goris, Kapan, and Meghri. On the other hand, if you are coming from Georgia, then it will take about 4-5 hours to reach this city.
- By bus : If you are traveling by bus to this city from Tbilisi then the approximate turn around time is 12 hours. Bus services are also available from Istanbul to Yerevan.
Yerevan enjoys a semi-arid continental climate where winters and chilled and snowy, while summers are hot and dry. The city enjoys this climate chiefly because it is located on a plain that is surrounded by mountains. During the summers, the temperatures can rise up to 40°C whereas in winters it can drop to as low as −15°C. However, precipitation is comparatively less in this city and there is hardly any humidity here. Fall is the best season here when you can enjoy some great farm fresh foods.
When to Visit :
The best time to plan a tour to Yerevan is from April to October.
Culture (fairs and festivals) and traditions :
The city is home to various cultural events including :
- Nana Aramyan’s solo exhibition is held at the Dalan Art Gallery. This event is usually scheduled in the month of December and lasts for a couple of days.
- Yerevan International Film Festival : This international film festival is organized in small scale, but even then it succeeds in garnering global respect and attention.
As a host, the city offers some exclusive destinations that are worth paying a visit. Some of these destinations include:
- Cascade Complex : Designed by the renowned architect Jim Torosyan, this complex serves as a remarkable link between the Haghtanak Park and the Yerevan center. The cascade as well as its neighboring area is a favorite with the international tourists as well as local visitors. This complex is home to the Cafesjian Center for Arts, where you can witness a number of exclusive exhibitions.
- Katoghike Church : This church is also popularly referred to as the Holy Mother of God Katoghike Church. Of late, a brand new religious compound is being built in the church premises.
- Erebuni Fortress : Constructed by Argishti I in 782 BC, this fortress is noted for historical importance. It is believed that over 3,000 years ago, this fortress was occupied by people who inhabited the surrounding territory. The territory was segregated into three sections, namely, economical, palatial, and religious. The chief objective of this fortress was to safeguard the northern borders of the kingdom.
- Mother Armenia : This statue has been built using hammered copper. Located on the Victoria Park, formerly Stalin’s statue stood on its place.
No matter where you plan for a tour, one of the viable things that you need to focus on is the accommodation. And to make sure you have a comfortable stay, Yerevan offers some of the best stay options like the Royal Tulip Grand Hotel Yerevan, Golden Palace Hotel, and Latar Hotel.
However, most of us don’t want to spend too much on our vacation. For this, you can avail the less expensive stay options such as Olympia Hotel, Shirak Hotel, Best Eastern Hotel Valensia, Primer Hotel, and Areg Hotel.
Last Updated : January 03, 2014
|Other City Maps|
|Flight Schedule from Yerevan to other cities|