Home > Sudan Map > Facts about Sudan

Facts about Sudan

by Vishal Kumar

Facts about Sudan Continent Africa Lat Long 15 00 N, 30 00 E Area 1,886,068 km2 (728,215 sq mi) Population 36,108,853 (July 2015 est.) Capital Khartoum Largest City Omdurman Official…

Facts about Sudan

Continent Africa
Lat Long 15 00 N, 30 00 E
Area 1,886,068 km2 (728,215 sq mi)
Population 36,108,853 (July 2015 est.)
Capital Khartoum
Largest City Omdurman
Official Languages Arabic and English (official), Nubian, Ta Bedawie, Fur
Major Religion Sunni Muslim, small Christian minority
National Day 1 January 1956 (from Egypt and the UK)
Form of Government Federal presidential republic
President Omar al-Bashir (NCP)
Vice President Bakri Hassan Saleh, Second – Hassabu M. Abdalrahman
Prime Minister Bakri Hassan Saleh
Currency Sudanese Pound
GDP $159.5 billion (2014 est.)
Calling Code 249
Time Zone (UTC+3)
Internet TLD .sd

Where is Sudan?

Situated in northern Africa, Republic of Sudan shares its borders with Egypt to the north, the Red Sea to the northeast, Eritrea and Ethiopia to the east, South Sudan to the south, the Central African Republic to the southwest, Chad to the west, and Libya to the northwest.

What is the capital of Sudan?

Khartoum is the capital of Sudan. It is a tripartite metropolis and is located where the two Niles, White and Blue Nile, meet. The etymology of its name is uncertain. It was founded in 1821 by Ibrahim Pasha and was an important point for the slave trading.

How big is Sudan?

Sudan is the 16th largest country in the world. It covers an area of 728,215 square miles and has an estimated population of 30,894,000.

What is the currency of Sudan?

The official currency of Sudan is Sudanese Pound. Its ISO 4217 code is SDG and is subdivided into 100 qirish. It is regulated by Bank of Sudan.

Which is the largest city of Sudan?

Khartoum, the capital of Sudan, is the largest city of Sudan. It has an estimated population of 639,598 and covers a total area of 5,274,321.

What is the official language of Sudan?

There are more than hundred languages spoken in Sudan. Arabic and English are the official languages of Sudan.

What is the religion of Sudan?

According to the CIA World Factbook, 97% of the population are Muslims. Remaining 3% of the population adhere to either animist and indigenous beliefs or Christianity.

What is the literacy rate of Sudan?

The total adult literacy rate of Sudan is 69%.

Who is the political leader of Sudan?

Sudan is widely known as an authoritarian state where all powers are vested in President. Officially, it is a federal presidential representative democratic republic, where the President is the head of the state, head of the government, and Commander-in-chief of the Army. Omar al-Bashir is the President of Sudan since 1989. He is also the head of the National Congress Party. Ali Osman Taha is the current and the first Vice President of Sudan. He assumed office on July 9, 2011.

When is the National Day of Sudan celebrated?

National Day of Sudan is celebrated on January 1. On this day in 1956, the first modern Sudanese government was established. The governments of Egypt and Britain agreed on granting Sudan independence by signing a treaty. A special ceremony was held at the People’s Palace and the flag of Sudan was hoisted.

What is the economy of Sudan like?

In 2009, the GDP of Sudan was $ 92.83 billion, while its and Per Capita income was $2,300. Approximately 40% of the population live below poverty line. Unemployment rate stands at 18.7%. Services sector accounts for 38.2% of the GDP, followed by agriculture (32.6%), and industry (29.2%). Oil, cotton ginning, textiles, cement, edible oils, sugar, soap and pharmaceuticals are some of the important industries in the country. Major export markets are China, Japan, and Indonesia, while major imports are with China, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, India, and Italy.

Related Maps