Sarajevo City is the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina and one of the largest cities in Southeastern Europe,
with over 430,000 residents living in the urban area. The city is surrounded by beautiful valleys, and is known worldwide for its extensive historical monuments, museums, and attractions. The city hosted the 1984 Winter Olympic Games.
The majority of Sarajevo is located within Bosnia and Herzegovina, with parts in the Republika Srpska entity. The city is located in a valley which was once home to much greenery. However, this gave way to urban development after the Second World War. Sarajevo is also surrounded by five large mountains, four of which are known as the 'Olympic Mountains'.
How to Reach
- Sarajevo Airport is located around 6 kilometers from the city center, and serves some of the world's biggest airlines. There is a plethora of transportation that will take you to and from the airport if you are visiting the city center, including taxis and a number of bus services.
- There are a number of train routes that stop in Sarajevo, including services to and from Croatia. Train services from Hungary and Germany were recently discontinued. There is one daily train service from Zagreb to Sarajevo which takes around 9 hours.
- There are two bus stations in the city, both of which run a number of services within Bosnia and Herzegovina. The main bus station offers a regular service to Croatia.
- Catching a taxi can be one of the easiest ways to get around the city, and the fare is relatively inexpensive depending on where you are going. You will be able to catch a taxi from your hotel, or use one to take you to local attractions and landmarks.
When to Visit
- You will be able to visit Sarajevo at any time during the year, although spring and fall can be perfect for seeing the sights and meeting the locals. Like most of Southeastern Europe, the weather in the city is colder in the winter and warmer in the summer.
Culture and Traditions
Sarajevo Film Festival
- this film festival is one of the most recognized in Europe and takes place every summer, usually in July or August. It is one of the largest festivals of its kind in Southeastern Europe, and features a number of different genres including many independent releases. Here you will be able to watch the latest groundbreaking movies, as well as meet cast and crew from your favorite pictures.
International Theater Festival (MESS)
- This festival runs every year during the month of October and brings the best of international theater to the city. Here you can expect to see unique storytelling and one-of-a-kind performances, with plenty of things to see, do and experience.
Points of Interest
- this piece of ancient architecture that was constructed during the Ottoman period is a definite must-see when visiting Sarajevo. The mosque is open to Muslims and non-Muslims, although women will need to cover their hair and wear appropriate clothing. The mosque is one of the biggest in the region, and is an important part of the Sarajevo skyline.
Sarajevo City Museum
- this museum is located in the Old Town, where you will find a wealth of restaurants (which serve both local and international cuisine), shops and attractions. The City Museum opened recently but tracks the long history of the country from pre-historical times up to modern periods in history. Although a small museum, there is plenty to discover here if you are interested in the culture and history of this thrilling city.
- the street across from this bridge was where the assassination of Franz Ferdinand took place in 1914 - the event that lead to the First World War. Here you will find a plaque to commemorate the event.
As Sarajevo is a large city, there are plenty of places to stay after a long day's sightseeing. Hotels will range in price and amenities, with something that will cater for all budgets and tastes. The more expensive hotels can be found in the city center, although there is a wealth of budget accommodation include various hostels and guest houses. Boutique hotels may include a spa, gym, or other health and fitness facilities.
Last Updated : July 22nd, 2018
|Flight Schedule from Sarajevo to other cities|