Maps of World
Current, Credible, Consistent
Maps / Taiwan Map / Geography / Population of Taiwan

Population of Taiwan

Taiwan's population makes the country the fourteenth most densely populated country in the world that counts up to 22,858,872 according to the July 2007 estimation.
Across a total land area of 35,980 Taiwan comprises mainly of two ethnic groups. 98% of Taiwan's population is made up of Han Chinese while the rest 2% is Taiwanese aborigines. Half of the population follows one or a mixture of 25 recognized religions. The main religions practiced are Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism and Christianity.

There is huge decrease in birth rate with a population growth of just 0.3% and a fertility rate of 1.12 children (below the 2.1 births average needed to replace the existing population.) for the year 2007. The official language is Mandarin although the majority speaks Taiwanese. The people of Taiwan are officially Chinese citizens under Republic of China.

The population is regarded ethnic Han descent from the adjacent Fijian Province in mainland China. Almost 53% of the population lives in the mountains while rest of the population lives in the Eastern Plains. Foreign residents in Taiwan are 422,738. The male to female ratio in Taiwan is: 104:100.

Most populous city of on the island is Taipei followed by Kaohsiung. There are some tribes existing among the Taiwan population, they are Ami, Atayal, Paiwan, Bunun, Puyuma, Rukai, Tsou and many more. With an average density of 623 persons per square kilometers, Taiwan is the second most densely populated in the world. The Taiwan population is unique for its varsity and ethnicity.

EU GDPR Update
MapsofWorld has updated its Terms and Privacy Policy to give Users more transparency into the data this Website collects, how it is processed and the controls Users have on their personal data. Users are requested to review the revised Privacy Policy before using the website services, as any further use of the website will be considered as User's consent to MapsofWorld Privacy Policy and Terms.
For further info please get in touch with
Bill Spicer Executive VP, MapXL
For US Queries
  (408) 637-0064