The Eiffel Tower (La Tour Eiffel) is one of the iconic structures in the world, visited by over 7 million people annually, making it the most visited paid attraction. The Eiffel Tower is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose organization designed and constructed the tower. He also designed the framework of another popular monument – the Statue of Liberty. An interesting fact about the tower is that Eiffel engraved 72 names of French scientists, mathematicians and engineers on this tower to accredit their contributions.
Visitors can take the stairs or elevator up to the three levels of observation decks and restaurants in the tower for great views of Paris. The two restaurants in the tower are Le 58 Tour Eiffel and Le Jules Verne. The Eiffel Tower is a world famous landmark that can be seen from all around Paris.
There are around 1,665 steps that lead to the top of the tower. Alternatively, the elevators installed in the tower may be used to reach the top of the tower. There are several lifts in the tower. One of the lifts goes up to the second floor from the ground floor. Two sets of Duo-lifts connect the second floor to the top. There are five more lifts in the tower, one on each pillar and one private lift that leads to the “Jules Verne” restaurant.
There are three levels in this iron lattice tower for public visits. The third level observatory’s upper platform is at a height of 279.11 m (915.7 ft). You have to climb 300 steps to reach from ground level to the first level. To reach the second level, you have to climb 300 steps from the first level. The third and the highest levels also have stairs, but the public can only access these levels by lift.
The tower has become one of the prominent landmarks of Paris and has also been featured in many movies.
Christmas is the most beautiful time to visit the Eiffel Tower. While the entire city of Paris shines in the Christmas light and the tower sparkles bright at night, this picturesque destination seems magical. Moreover, the seasonal ice skating rinks are installed in Paris during Christmas.
The immense popularity of the Eiffel Tower has generated some of the best gift ideas in the form of the Eiffel Tower favors, figurine, floor lamp, cup holder, bedding, zippo bottle opener, knife, pajamas, charm, pillow, blanket, puzzle, poster, balloons, bracelet, games, cake, centerpieces, etc.
Eiffel Tower in News:
- The ice rink on the Eiffel Tower, which is installed every winter, is back this year after a gap of two years. The rink has an area of 2000 square feet and is situated on the first floor of the tower at a height of 187 feet. The first floor has been modernized over the past two years at a cost of 30 million euros, and is now made of sparkling transparent glass. There is no separate entry fee for the ice rink. Mulled wine and hot chocolate are also available at the rink. The rink will remain open from 8 December 2014 to 15 February 2015.
- Angry French farmers brought their sheep to the iconic Eiffel tower on November 27, 2014 to protest against Plan Loup- a government policy that left them helpless to defend their livestock in the face of attacks by wolves. The farmers demanded the right to kill the attacking wolves. The wolves, however, are limited in numbers, and hence protected under Plan Loup. A rival demonstration was also staged by animal rights activists, who were in favor of the protection granted to wolves.
- Famous for her history making catwalks, Jessica Minh- model and entrepreneur- will now catwalk on the newly renovated glass floor of the Eiffel Tower. At 8 a.m. tomorrow, on 31 October, 2014, Jessica will lead beautiful models, as they strut across the glass floor of the Eiffel Tower, marking the beginning of the J Autumn Fashion Show 2014.
- In view of the 125th anniversary of the Eiffel Tower, its first floor has been modernized and is now of transparent high quality glass. So, when visitors climb up to the Eiffel Tower, they can actually look directly down a plunging height of 57 m.
- Global fashion show organization and model Jessica Minh Anh will host the first ever fashion show on top of the iconic landmark of the fashion city of Paris – the Eiffel Tower. The show is scheduled to be held on October 31, 2014.
- On July 10, 2014 the French Police declared the Eiffel Tower and Louvre as the targets of terrorist attacks. They decoded the intercepted messages exchanged between al-Qaeda operatives and Ali M, the 29-year-old butcher which revealed that the Jihadists plot to blow the Eiffel Tower and Louvre.
Eiffel Tower Map
Eiffel Tower Facts
- The tower was constructed for the 1889 World’s Fair and is over 80 stories tall.
- An amount of 30 million euro has been spent to give the first floor of the Eiffel Tower a facelift. The floor is now made of glass so that visitors to the tower may enjoy a stunning view below from a height of 57 meters.
- It is the tallest structure in Paris standing at an elevation of 324 meters (1,063 ft).
- The total weight of the tower is 10,100 tonnes, the weight of the metal framework is 7,300 tonnes.
- There are 120 antennas in this architectural wonder.
- The base pillars of the tower are oriented with the four points of the compass.
- 60 tonnes of paint is used to paint the tower.
- It is said that about 132 workers were employed to assemble 18,000 metallic parts of the tower. 2.5 million rivets were used to join these parts.
- Around 336 projectors (sodium lamps) and 20,000 bulbs (5,000 bulbs installed on either side) are used for the illumination of the tower.
- France has some very strict copyright infringement laws in place. Under these laws, any pictures of the Eiffel Tower that have been taken at night during the light show, may not be shared online without prior permission from the Socie`te` d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel.
Where is Eiffel Tower?
The Eiffel Tower is located on the Champ de Mars in the seventh arrondissement of Paris, France, not far from the Seine River.
Address: Champ de Mars, 5 Avenue Anatole France, 75007 Paris, France
How far is the Eiffel Tower from the Disneyland Paris?
The tower is approximately 59 km away from the Disneyland Paris. The journey ranges from 45 minutes to one hour, depending upon the traffic and the chosen route.
How far is the Eiffel Tower from the Louvre?
It is at a distance of just 4.1 km from the Louvre. The tower can be reached within 8 minutes, but due to traffic, the journey may take upto 15 minutes or so.
Which metro station is near the Eiffel Tower?
The Champ de Mars Tour Eiffel Metro Station is the nearest metro station.
Best Time To Visit Eiffel Tower, Paris
Spring and autumn are the best seasons to visit Paris and the Eiffel Tower. Visitors during these off times will experience nice weather and smaller crowds than those who visit during the high season in summer.
Eiffel Tower Opening & Closing Hours
The Eiffel Tower is open throughout the year – with no off-days!
- Visitors can enter the tower between June 15 and September 1, from 9:00 a.m. till midnight.
- Rest of the year: from 9.30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Opening hours are extended till midnight during the Spring holidays and on the Easter weekend.
Eiffel Tower Tickets
Children under 4 years have free access to the Eiffel Tower. There are special rates for individuals, groups and disabled people as well as reduced rates for adults accompanying the disabled. The rates for standard tickets are:
- Stairs entrance (up to the second floor): Age 4-11= € 3.00 / Age 12-24 = €3.50 / Adults = €5.00
- Lift entrance (up to the second floor): Age 4-11= € 4.00 / Age 12-24 = €7.00 / Adults = €8.50
- Lift entrance (to the top floor): Age 4-11= € 10.00 / Age 12-24 = €13.00 / Adults = €14.50
To avoid the rush, you can buy tickets online at www.tour-eiffel.fr/en/preparing-your-visit/buying-your-tickets.html
Video on Eiffel Tower
More on Eiffel Tower
What time does the Eiffel Tower sparkle?
The Eiffel Tower sparkles every day for 5 minutes per hour on the hour, from nightfall until 1:00 a.m.
What is the Eiffel Tower called in French?
It is called Tour Eiffel in French.
How much did it cost to build the Eiffel Tower?
Around 7,800,000 Gold Francs were spent to build the tower in 1889.
Where is the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas?
Paris Las Vegas – a half-size replica of the Eiffel Tower, is an exhilarating place for those who wish to experience the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas. A glass elevator ride up 460 feet takes you to the top of the replica tower for 360-degree city views.
When was the Eiffel Tower struck by lightning?
On July 27, 2013, the Eiffel Tower was struck by lightning.
When was the Eiffel Tower named the tallest building in the world?
In 1889, when the tower was built, it became the tallest building in the world.
Where are the Eiffel Tower replicas?
There are over 9 replicas of the Eiffel Tower in the world. The prominent ones are in Las Vegas (Nevada), Durango (Mexico), and Shenzhen (China).
Why is the Eiffel Tower taller in the summer?
It gets taller in the summer due to Thermal Expansion.
Why does the Eiffel Tower lean?
The leaning of the Eiffel Tower is due to the expansion of the iron because of the heat of the sun.
How long did it take to build the Eiffel Tower?
It took 2 years, 2 months, and 5 days to build the Eiffel Tower.
When did the Eiffel Tower become a UNESCO World Heritage Site?
The region from the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower and from the Place de la Concorde to the Grand and Petit Palais became a World Heritage Site in 1991.