Located in North Goa, Baga Beach is among the famous tourist spots of Goa that offer a joy-packed environment to water-sports lovers, foodies and party animals. 10km away from Mapsua, the Baga beach is believed to begin right from the end point of Calangute Beach. A rocky wooded headland demarcates the two.
The colorful nightlife of the beach is easily seen in Tito’s Lane, which also hosts celebrated Club Tito, Cavala Caterers and Café Mambo. Enjoy cosy restaurant interiors, live music, shops and milling crowds even during late night. Even shopaholics can hop at an array of shopping options offered at the beach such as Mackies Saturday Night Market, Anjunas Beach flea market on Wednesday, and Saturday shopping festival in Arpora market.
Besides shopping, the fun loving and fit people can also enjoy numerous water sports here. Para sailing, windsurfing, wake boarding, jet ski, kite surfing as well as dolphin spotting and island trips can be enjoyed here. While daytime works well for sun lovers, the restaurants regale food-lovers with their mouth watering sea food snacks.
You may also like to read about the The Best Beaches in Goa.
Baga Beach Map
Facts about Baga Beach
- Baga Beach was discovered by Hippies who used it as a stopover for their trips during the 60s and 70s.
- It is named after Baga Creek, which is a connecting river to the Arabian Sea.
- There is an STD Booth and the Chapel of St. Annie on the bank of the Baga river, which were built by Dona Engracia Braganca for the convenience of tourists.
- A giant, black color rock is present at the foot of the Baga hill which is believed to have treasures of shipwrecks from the Arabian Sea. Old bells, cannons and anchors are also said to be buried under it.
Where is Baga Beach?
Baga Beach liesin the northern region of Goa. It is 9kms away from Mapsua and 16kms away from Panaji.
How to Reach
People traveling via railways can reach Thivim, which is the nearest station to the beach. A taxi or auto rickshaw can then be hired after negotiating for the price they charge. Airways can also be considered by booking flights to the Dabolim Airport of Goa which is about 50kms from the Baga Beach. A pre-paid taxi is the best option to travel from the airport to the beach.
Baga Beach provides the option of comfortable and budgeted accommodation to its tourists. Roni Beach resort and Do Sol provideaccommodation at reasonable prices. You can also enjoy staying in beautiful cottages on Baga Beach at Colonia Santa Maria resort, 16 Degrees North and more such junctions.
Best time to visit Baga Beach
The climate at Baga Beach is apleasant throughout the year, except in the months of July and August, when heavy rainfall occurs. Winters are ideal for those who like chilly nights while summer is perfect for sun lovers.
Baga Beach Hours
The beach is open throughout the day, but water sports can be enjoyed only between 12:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The timing of water sports activities at Baga Beach may vary during the festive season, or due to sudden changes in the weather. Food is available throughout the day and late into the night.
Baga Beach Tickets
Baga Beach is free to enter.
More on Baga Beach
Nearby Attractions – Baga Beach is small in size, but there are plenty of interesting tourist spots around it.
- You can trek up to Baga Hill towards Baga Retreat House, which was built in 1953 in memory of St. Francis Xavier.
- Little children, under adult supervision, can enjoy their time frolicking on the shores in shallow water.
- Medicinal Spring, is a famous picnic and bathing spot,where the water is believed to have medicinal properties. Families with children and the elderly, can have a great time here.
- You can also drive to Calangute and Anjuna Beach from here.
Image credit : Ramnath BhatPublished On: Thursday, December 11th, 2014