The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, replete with Europe’s dandy art collections, offer a striking backdrop for opulent banquets, fashion shows, receptions, banquets, product launches, and gala dinners. Two of the spaces available for hire at Kelvingrove include the Centre Hall and East and West Balconies, and the Kg Café. The Centre Hall can accommodate about 500 dining guests and about 1,000 guests for the drinks reception. Offering an exquisite combination of recherché interiors in the form of ornate chandeliers hanging from vaulted ceiling and provision for epicurean banquet, the museum is a superb venue for gatherings. The Kg Café on the basement offers space for smaller gatherings, of about 80 people. The cafe overlooks the Kelvingrove Park, thus the views from the cafe are refreshing.
Highlights of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Arms and Armour: Comprising of the Greenock shipbuilder R L Scott’s legacy, famous for the world’s finest collection of European arms and armor in the world, the arms and armor collection at the museum warns the onlookers of the impact of the war and warfare on the user. The Avant Armour is the chief exhibit in this collection.
- Christ of St John of the Cross: The painting, dating back to 1951, made by Salvador Dali, was bought by Glasgow in 1952.
- The Dutch Gallery: It houses the 17th century collection of Old Masters and a collection of Hague School paintings, along with significant French collections of 19th century.
- Fulton’s Orrery: A 3D model of the solar system, depicting the understanding of the planetary movements, as they were comprehended in the 1820s.
- The Bees: The beehive at the museum lets the onlookers learn about the life cycle of the bees. Various kinds of bees reside in the strategically placed hive, from where the bees can move in and out of the museum to collect nectar.
- Spitfire LA198: Constructed in 1944, Mark 21 or Spitfire LA198 equipped with a Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine, is a restored exhibit of the plane.
- Scottish Art is exhibited in the Glasgow Boys and Scottish Colourists.
- The Scottish animal section has tunnels to climb around.
- Nakht Coffin and Skeleton, Sir Roger the Asian Elephant, Scroll-Butt Pistol, and Medieval Satchel are some other exhibits at the museum.
The museum also houses the wonderful organ made by Lewis and Co. of London in 1901. Daily organ recitals are held from Mondays to Saturdays at 1:00 p.m., and on Sundays at 3:00 p.m. During Friday tours, the visitors can have a closer look at the organ, after the recital.
Update: You can now tour the museum via your iPhone by downloading the museum app. You may also visit the Riverside Museum, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Necropolis, and Glasgow City Chambers located near the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Map
Facts about Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was built in 1901.
- It houses a collection of 8,000 objects, arranged in 22 themed galleries.
Where is Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum ?
The museum is located adjacent to the Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow, Scotland. It is about 7.6 miles away from the Glasgow Airport (via route M8). You can reach the museum via car, bus, subway, rail, bicycle, or on foot.
Address: Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
Phone Number: 0141 276 9500
Best time to visit Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
March to August is the best time to visit Glasgow, as the weather is mild and perfect for traveling.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Hours
The museum opens at 10:00 a.m. on Mondays to Thursdays, and on Saturdays; while on Fridays and Sundays, it opens at 11:00 a.m. It closes at 5:00 a.m. daily.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Tickets
Entry to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is free.
More about Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
What are the coordinates of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum?
55.8686° N, 4.2905° W
What is the Mini Museum at the Kelvingrove?
The Mini Museum is dedicated to the children under 5 years of age. It is an interactive place where children learn while making fun.
SB20150804Published On: Thursday, May 8th, 2014